Switching to BLW, need ideas for milk/egg intolerant DD!!

(9 Posts)
LindsayS79 Thu 03-Apr-14 22:32:09

So I've made the big decision to ditch the purées and go with BLW. DD is almost 9 months and is now point blank refusing to be spoon fed.
She's recently started to swallow some of the finger foods I've been giving her so I'm chuffed at that.
The problem I have is that she's milk/egg intolerant. I also go out quite a lot, so I'm struggling with ideas for foods 'on the go'. I thought a sandwich might be good to try, but what bloomin' fillings can I use?! That soya cheese is awful!!
She prefers chip-sized foods at the mo and won't feed herself with the spoon either!! She's a bit of a madam and running rings round me grin

ExBrightonBell Fri 04-Apr-14 00:54:08

How about hummus? I add things like grated carrot to it for interest. Also would nut butters be ok? As well as peanut you can get cashew, hazelnut etc from places like Holland & Barrett. Ooh, how about Marmite or tuna or other similar fish?

Sid77 Fri 04-Apr-14 01:28:53

Mashed avocado or banana - or both together! Tomato, cucumber, ham, chopped chicken...

LindsayS79 Fri 04-Apr-14 08:44:47

I've not tried her with nuts yet. I'm a bit apprehensive as her reaction to a tiny bit of egg was instant! I didn't think of chopped meat/tuna. I always associate that with mayonnaise, suppose I can just do a thin layer and it should stick to the dairy free marg!
What would I do with tomatoes/cucumber in a sandwich? Just chop it up really finely? Sorry for the stupid questions but I was all prepared for the purées and not the adventurous BLW way!!

blueseashore Fri 04-Apr-14 22:02:30

Hummus is a good one. Or cold pasta & sweet corn salad with a bit of olive oil instead of mayo. I am sure you can get DF and EF mayo (not sure what it tastes like though). I am currently DF as breastfeeding my CMPI baby, I have some DF cream "cheese" in my fridge that looks ok but I haven't tried it yet!

LizzieMint Fri 04-Apr-14 22:08:52

With BLW, you are actually better off leaving things bigger rather than finely chopping them. If you think of a cucumber for example, if you chop it into tiny bits, it'll be nigh-on impossible for a 9 month old to pick it up and eat it, whereas a big fat chunky stick is perfect for them to hold and gnaw on.
For sandwiches you could do ham/beef/tuna. Bread is sometimes quite tricky to start off with as it can go into a gloopy mass if they are gumming it rather than chewing (does she have teeth?). Easier to use rice cakes, crackers, toast, breadsticks etc first.
But basically with BLW you can honestly feed them ANYTHING. Don't think of it as baby food, just as smaller portions of your own food (obviously with her allergies taken into account). Seriously once you get going you will be amazed. I've done BLWing with all three of my children, I love it!

AnythingNotEverything Sat 05-Apr-14 02:25:13

I was going to make the same point as Lizzie - at 9 months BLW is just "dinner", obviously with her allergies covered. Great excuse to practice some meals for the future!

Would she eat from a loaded spoon? Dipping bread or toast fingers into things could be good - like soup or dhal.

LindsayS79 Sat 05-Apr-14 14:05:34

Thanks everyone. Great ideas. I gave her a bit if bread yesterday with some hummus and she ate some if it! She hasn't got teeth yet so I got some of the lighter Danish type bread that's less stodgy.
Not tried pasta yet. That's an idea!

MrsSpencerReid Sat 05-Apr-14 14:08:59

I used meat paste, no chewing issues and gives the meaty flavour smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now