Still mashing food at 12mo?

(3 Posts)
Lollypop1983 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:44:56

My LO is about to turn 1. Up to now, I've puréed, then mash his food. Today I started chopping, really small bits of strawberry, which he is okay with. At what age should I stop mashing and start chopping really small?

Tia. x

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 31-Mar-14 13:02:05

A lot of people give their babies whole foods from 6 months. Your baby should be able to manage them now - it doesn't matter if they don't have teeth. Their jaws and gums do the work. You should cut grapes (lengthways) and cherry tomatoes in half as they're choking hazards.

minipie Mon 31-Mar-14 13:20:46

It depends on the food but in general now!

Soft or softish foods, he should be able to manage without mashing now. Big pieces he can have as finger foods, and sizeable chunks in any spoon fed food. For example at that age my DD was ok with strips of chicken breast, sticks of cheese, rice cakes, fruit etc as finger food and casseroles with soft shredded meat and cooked veg as spoon fed food. Fish was also ok without being mashed, risotto, small pasta were fine too.

However I'd say it will take a bit longer for him to manage tougher/harder meat (eg lumps of pork chop). DD is only just ok with lumps of harder meat at 16 mo. Mince I did blend until about 13/14 mo as it can be very chewy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now