What did your 12 month old eat today?

(9 Posts)
Hamnvik Sun 30-Mar-14 17:45:40

I am just wondering how much is an average amount of food for a 12 month old to eat. My DS usually has a few bites of something and then loses interest.

I am also asking to try and get some new ideas for food. I am not a natural cook and DS is dairy, soya,nut free and has lots of foods he can't have due to his reflux.

Today he has eaten -
Breakfast - probably a dozen cheerios, half a small banana.
Lunch - a quarter of a piece of toast, two cucumber sticks, half a fruit pouch.
Dinner - Homemade soup with two bread fingers. Other half of fruit pouch.

He also has 3 x 8oz milk. Does this sound like he eats enough?

Gerty1002 Mon 31-Mar-14 10:14:38

I'm no expert but that sounds not too far off my 7mo's diet, though he has 3x11oz of milk and sometimes the third meal doesn't happen depending on what time he asks for his second bottle. He is 99.6th centile though (98 at birth) so don't let that freak you out.

Is he putting on weight and appears otherwise healthy/full of energy? Maybe speak to HV if you're worried, and maybe give a multivitamin if you're not already?

jennifer1983 Mon 31-Mar-14 14:40:22

My daughter is 13 months old and small for her age (5'2 at birth and and has never gone above the 9th percentile) so I am sometimes concerned about her weight but she has plenty of wet nappies, sleeps well at night and seems happy in herself. Is your son generally happy and developing well?

As a guide today she has had...

Breakfast

Small handful of Ella's Kitchens Round O's cereal
Slice of toast (she eats about 2 thirds of it)

Lunch

Small handful of raspberries
Half a banana
Box of raisins
Few cubes of cheese
A few Organix spicy tomato stars crisps

For Dinner she'll have

4 big Tablespoons of Vegetable Curry
Couple of potato wedges
Pot of fruit yogurt

She likes to play with her food so doesn't always eat all of it.

She has about 150z of milk and the rest of her drinks are very very waterered down juice.

Hamnvik Mon 31-Mar-14 15:26:24

Great, thank you. He is 91st centile for weight so he's fine in that respect. I suppose its just that everyone else I know their babies seem to eat a lot.

jennifer1983 Mon 31-Mar-14 18:57:36

As he is fine within himself then I wouldn't be worried but as Gerty said you could bring it up with your HV or doctor next time you see them.

monstergoose Tue 01-Apr-14 21:33:24

My 13m old (9th percentile) today ate

2 tablespoons porridge and 1/4 slice of toast and marmalade

Half a slice of toast and butter for a snack (the only suitable food at my dads house!)

Half a jacket potato, 1/2 tin beans and cheese for lunch

2 little biscuits for afternoon snack

3 fish fingers, potato wedges, broccoli, peas and a yogurt and a tangerine for dinner

She's on a growth spurt!

Jo1984uk Thu 03-Apr-14 08:58:49

Yesterday my dd (12 months) ate:

Breakfast- 3 halved grapes and handful of blueberries, followed by organix number cereal with banana

Mid morning snack- organix crisps and a few raisins

Lunch- cheese and garlic mayo sandwich (trying to be creative with what was in the ridge!) with shredded lettuce. She ate about a quarter of it.
Sliced melon, 5 blueberries, sliced clementine (3 pieces). Followed by a plum yoghurt.

Mid afternoon snack- grated apple

Dinner- Was meant to be lamb bolognase but shes having that for lunch instead! We were over my mums so she had jacket potato ( did not eat any!) with spaghetti ( she loved the spaghetti) with mixed vegetables. She mainly picked the peas and broccoli out.

She is still waking up for 4-5 night feeds so I do worry about the amount of food she eats sometimes. I think she eats enough fruit, I need to find more opportunities apart from dinner to get more vegetables in her.

CornishYarg Thu 03-Apr-14 15:00:59

Jo I appreciate that's just one day's food and may not be typical. But it's pretty light on protein so more might help reduce her reliance on milk.

Jo1984uk Sun 06-Apr-14 19:29:52

cornish thank you so much for pointing that out. Your completely right, I think she does need more protein in her diet. It's not until you write down a typical days food you notice what's lacking, especially when someone else looks at it. Lets hope more protein= less night feeds smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now