Please help - 9 month old with strong gag reflex - Normal?

(13 Posts)
Timepasses Thu 27-Mar-14 14:47:24

My ds is 9 months old today ( 7.5 months corrected). He has been enjoying pureed foods but when I have tried finger food he is gagging and being sick.

So far he has had streamed carrot, cucumber, melt in mouth Ella biscuits.

I must admit that I go into complete panic mode when he gags and feel that I am holding him back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HappyGoLuckyGirl Thu 27-Mar-14 14:54:06

My DS still does this at 9 months too.

Anything lumpy or that he doesn't like and he will gag like crazy.

There's nothing you can do unfortunately. Keep offering different foods and he will eventually pick it up. It's a new skill he is learning don't forget and all babies develop in their own time.

Only advice I can give is not to panic when he gags. Have a huge smile plastered on your face and use encouraging words when he is eating. If he gags keep smiling and tell him he is okay.

Timepasses Thu 27-Mar-14 15:02:18

Happy - thanks for your reply.

What type of finger/lumpy food are you feeding your ds?

Mammabear31 Thu 27-Mar-14 18:46:40

Watching with interest. My DS is 10 months and still on textured purees as anything with a slight lump in it makes him gag. I can't even give him bits of toast, cheese or ham without him choking. Beginning to think he'll be puree fed for life! sad

HappyGoLuckyGirl Thu 27-Mar-14 19:36:43

He manages really well with bread sticks, toast (especially with jam and butter), biscotti, cucumber, sausage, chipped potatoes, tomato, oranges, strawberries, mango, organix baked crisps and rice cakes. And he loves fruit smoothie pouches but they're purees.

We've had small success with pasta bolognese and mashed potato.

I find it incredibly hard to give him meals as I know he won't eat it. He just sort of plays with it. Come actual meal times I'm always stumped as to what to give him because I do want him to ingest some of it.

I've got breakfast nailed though! Weetabix made with his formula or toast and some natural yoghurt or fruit afterwards.

Just the other two meals now!

LindsayS79 Thu 27-Mar-14 22:10:07

My 8 month old is the same. I had a speech therapist visit me this week and she said just to keep giving finger foods and purée as reflux babies will eventually 'get it'. She said its best to let the baby touch the food themselves as it gives them more trust over what goes in their mouth. I guess this stems from the discomfort of bottle feeding them for so long!
It's still disheartening though as my LO hasn't actually swallowed any finger foods yet and gags easily on thicker purée. I have found that giving her smaller quantities on the spoon helps though...

LindsayS79 Thu 27-Mar-14 22:12:12

Sorry I've just realised that you didn't mention refux OP! Some of my reply may still be relevant I hope.. Sorry!!

HappyGoLuckyGirl Thu 27-Mar-14 23:25:56

Lindsay, my LO has reflux too. He's still on gaviscon!

LindsayS79 Fri 28-Mar-14 10:48:42

The joys of reflux! Does your LO actually swallow their food then?

mawbroon Fri 28-Mar-14 11:58:53

Could he have tongue tie OP?

That can cause difficulty with chewing and swallowing, some textures more than others. Gagging and being sick also common with tied kids.

How did milk feeding go?

Timepasses Fri 28-Mar-14 13:30:35

He feeds well from a bottle. He did have reflux but is fine now. How do I find if he has tongue tie?

Kelly1814 Tue 27-May-14 07:46:19

i could have written this post. my 8.5 month old gags at everything that isn't a puree or a smooth yoghurt!

i can't stand the stress, she goes bright red, often vomits, feels so stressful for her, and me! when will this improve?!

LindsayS79 Tue 27-May-14 22:37:06

Kelly1814 don't stress! My LO is now 10.5 months and rarely gags. She's now swallowing finger foods in small quantities and managing thicker purées fine.
Just give lots of finger foods and they'll get used to it. Keep a happy face when they gag. I found the organic carrot puffs were great at getting used to trusting finger foods. Also cucumber sticks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now