Cereal suggestions for 10mo?

(12 Posts)
weeblueberry Tue 25-Mar-14 16:07:08

Until recently my daughter was happy to have either porridge oats or weetabix for breakfast. She seems to have gone off this recently and in a desperate attempt to get her eating something other than fruit at breakfast, DP bought her 3 different types of baby breakfast. She seemed to really like the one that was like mini rice krispies but I really hate the thought of paying through the nose for a 'baby cereal' when I'm sure there are plenty normal cereals that she'll enjoy the same for half the price.

Does anyone have suggestions of cereals that would work well for a 10 month old that are low in salt and have no sugar? She's pretty adventurous with food and has enough teeth to make good work of something a bit more substantial.

JuniperHeartwand Tue 25-Mar-14 16:17:11

Raisin wheats or mini shredded wheats. Just let them soften up in a little milk.

noblegiraffe Tue 25-Mar-14 16:19:10

Shredded wheat is sugar free and low salt, but not so good for vitamins and iron as cornflakes, which has slightly more sugar.

Buttercup27 Tue 25-Mar-14 16:28:24

We did baby led weaning - not on purpose, I actually tried cooking and blending baby food which Ds1 completely refused. He didn't like the texture of mush I tried lots of 'baby food' but it was a no go. Then one day he grabbed food from plate and ate it! From then on he just ate what ever we ate , He Would Refuse If We mashed it and preferred to use his hands and gum the food. I think it helped chewing on food when teething. Now 2 years on he it's everything and now weirdly loves mushy wheatabix and porridge which he would never eat before.With Ds2 i'm not going to waste my money on baby food - it can be so expensive. Ds2 will have what ever we have including cereal.

ExBrightonBell Tue 25-Mar-14 17:22:35

You can get plain puffed rice (Kallo do it, as do others), that has no added anything.

I usually find it in the "free from" section of the supermarket, rather than with the cereals. That or mini shredded wheat are the only ones I've been able to find with no added sugar/salt.

weeblueberry Tue 25-Mar-14 20:06:29

That's fab - thanks so much! I'll have a look at the shredded wheat, corn flakes (she won't be having them every day I don't think...) and Kallo puffed wheat (which might end up being the same price as the baby cereal lol).

What about wholewheat Cheerios? Or normal Shreddies?

ExBrightonBell Tue 25-Mar-14 20:15:11

Take your point about the Kallo rice!

Cheerios and shreddies have added sugar and salt (as well as added vitamins/minerals). My ds has these at nursery, and occasionally at home. Most of the time he has porridge, shredded wheat or the puffed rice.

weeblueberry Tue 25-Mar-14 20:18:49

Cool - thanks so much. I think she's only going to have cereal a few days a week. The rest she can have toast or eggs or fruit/yoghurt. smile I'll price check the Kallo cereal though - if I'm honest I'd rather buy that than baby cereal. ;)

TinyTear Tue 25-Mar-14 20:29:45

Cheerios. The shape meant I wasn't as worried about choking

Jo1984uk Fri 28-Mar-14 20:11:25

Try alpha bites. You can get them in asda and sainsburys, my dd loves them and they are made with no added sugar or salt.

ExBrightonBell Fri 28-Mar-14 20:19:50

Just looked up Alphabites. They have added coconut blossom nectar, which is a form of sugar. The nutritional info says that there is 18g of sugars per 100g. "High in sugar" products are those with 22.5g or more per 100g, and "low in sugar" are those with less than 5g (see NHS advice here). So they are actually quite high in sugar really even though it appears they have no added "sugar".

minipie Mon 31-Mar-14 13:23:53

The only cereals with no added sugar that I am aware of are Ready Brek and Shredded Wheat.

Everything else seems to have sugar, either actual sugar or "disguised" sugar like the coconut blossom nectar described above (how cheeky to call that a no added sugar product).

You could make your own muesli I suppose? Might be a bit hard going for a 10 mo though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now