Water to milk ratio with BLW?

(4 Posts)
Linguaphile Wed 05-Mar-14 20:43:37

Just started BLW this week with my new 6-month-old twins, and it's going fantastically well. They love all the tastes and we have to actually put a stop to mealtimes as they enjoy it so much.

My question, though, is when/if I should offer water instead of milk? They obviously don't take in loads yet as they're mostly sucking/gumming their food, which I understand is normal for BLW, so I've just been giving them their usual bottle of milk half before and half after each mealtime. Is that right? Should I be offering water instead of milk at certain times? I don't want to end up over feeding them because they have to drink milk to quench their thirst, but also don't want them to fill up on water if they genuinely still need all the calories from their milk feeds. They're not wasting away (about 50th percentile, which is big for twins), so I suppose I'm more worried about over feeding than under-feeding.

Gerty1002 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:48:06

The guidelines are to offer food an hour after milk so they aren't ravenous but not too full from milk. Just offer them the same amount of milk as usual then extra water at meal times. They should reduce their milk intake on their own when they are ready and taking in more food, though all babies are different.

give milk as usual and give a small drink of water alongside meals. I gave solids 1 hour after milk though and not in the middle of a milk feed.

Linguaphile Wed 05-Mar-14 20:57:53

Ah great, very helpful. Will try offering milk first an hour ahead of time, then food with water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now