New to weaning

(3 Posts)
wispa31 Wed 05-Mar-14 19:56:42

hi all smile just starting to intro solids my 5.5 mth old ds this week. So far just some rice wi almond milk and some cooked pair, roughly a spoonful hes taken. Ive only given him 1 serving of this each day. Should i/can i feed him more? Give him 2- 3 spoonfuls through the day? I havent a fucking clue what im doin tbh lol. He,l take my pear or plum and suck on it no bother, and no bother with the spoon.

ExBrightonBell Wed 05-Mar-14 20:57:18

I would have a look at the NHS pages about weaning, and the mumsnet ones too if you haven't already.

Then nip down to your local library and get out a couple of books about weaning. I did baby led weaning so I found the Gill Rapley book useful, but there will be lots about weaning generally. Read a few and then decide what suits you and your baby.

My local family centre also did talks about weaning given by health visitors - maybe see if you can get along to something like that as well.

I would say that the early days of weaning are about exposing your baby to a wide range of tastes and flavours. It shouldn't be about getting volumes of food into your baby. The NHS advise moving to 3 meals by about 8 to 9 months. At 6 months ish you can do one meal a day, and move to two when you feel happy to. It can take a while to work out how to fit it in around milk feeds. I found that some days I would only manage to offer breakfast or lunch due to being busy.

wispa31 Thu 06-Mar-14 09:25:32

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply smile much appreciated! I shall have a look today! Hes just after some porridge with almond milk and i gave him a piece of banana to gum on smile he did the gaggy thing at first when he got a bit off but no bother chewing and swallowing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now