11mo and cooked honey

(7 Posts)
gretagrape Tue 04-Mar-14 07:32:36

Hi - I've got a recipe for baked sausages that have honey drizzled over them before cooking. Do you think this is ok, or is the risk of the honey containing botulism not affected by cooking?
Can easily leave it out, but just wondering if it would be ok.
Thanks
x

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Tue 04-Mar-14 07:38:17

As with all weaning advice, you have to make your own mind up according to your own circumstances. 12m is a guide. There is no magical moment when an 11m29d child is at risk of botulism, but 24h later they are no longer at risk.

My dc were big, robust, healthy babies at that age, and I would not have worried about them having honey. They all had eaten honey cake by then, anyway.

AnaisB Tue 04-Mar-14 07:40:14

Boulism isn't killed by heating,

AnaisB Tue 04-Mar-14 07:42:36

Pressed post to soon.

As her said there isn't a magic switch at 12 months and botulism in an 11 month old is pretty unheard of (according to my Google search).

HairyPorter Tue 04-Mar-14 07:45:51

I used to give dd homade bread that had honey as an ingredient. I never found out if botulism was killed by the cooking process and I did use to worry slightly. But I figured it was tiny quantities that she consumed and i comforted myself that as it was medicinal grade manuka honey the benefit outweighed the risk! I have no evidence for this btw. Ultimately it's your child. You have to weigh up your perceived risk/ benefit to it!

gretagrape Tue 04-Mar-14 07:58:43

Thanks - it's not really integral to the recipe so I think I'll leave it out.

I gave my DC honey in yoghurt from 9/10 months. They were fine (and still are).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now