Advice about dairy

(9 Posts)
WinterHasRuinedMyFace Mon 03-Mar-14 11:43:33

My dd is 7mo and we are (loosely) doing blw. I understand that she should have full fat dairy foods, but will the world end if I use semi skimmed milk when making cheese sauce? Obviously the cheese is full fat, and I give her full fat yoghurt etc. Just wondering if it's important enough that I need to buy three different milks (skimmed for me, semi skimmed for dh, full fat for dd) each week or if the odd bit of semi skimmed will be alright.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 03-Mar-14 14:59:29

How often are you thinking of giving it to her?

Parliamo Mon 03-Mar-14 15:06:09

Not a problem. Although with the difference being 4% for full day, 2% for semi skimmed and a bit less than 1% for skimmed milk, why don't you all have full fat. Tastes nicer, better for you.

WinterHasRuinedMyFace Mon 03-Mar-14 16:56:04

Only a couple of times a week, so not all the time. Full fat milk tastes like drinking cream to me, grim!

shouldnt matter for something like cheese sauce as it is full of cheese anyway.

Gerty1002 Mon 03-Mar-14 17:32:20

Would your DH drink skimmed or full fat?

WinterHasRuinedMyFace Mon 03-Mar-14 19:41:13

No... I would have semi skimmed, but I'm lardy enough as it is! If I need to buy full fat to use for her at all times without exception, obviously I will. But I'd rather not. So I guess I'm asking will it do her any harm? Other than potentially displacing something more nutritious, which given how much food actually goes in probably isn't something I need to worry about yet.

HighVoltage Tue 04-Mar-14 10:08:18

I've recently had exactly the same thoughts/concerns - I have skimmed, DH and DS have semi etc and have decided as our DTs are very good weights, have full fat yoghurt, cheese and even double cream sometimes am not going to worry about the odd pancake, bowl of porridge or cheese sauce made with semi-skimmed milk especially as for some recipes (like porridge and pancakes) some people mix the milk with water - or just use water - anyway.

Once they are drinking cows milk as their main drink they can have full fat all the time but if I were to buy it now
I'd be wasting it all the time.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 04-Mar-14 10:10:50

I never bothered with full fat milk. I can't stand milk there's no way I could have had full fat in the house without feeling sick.

I used semi.

We don't use it at all now but we used to. With a cheese sauce it doesn't make any difference tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now