am I giving ds too many sweet flavoured purées?

(5 Posts)
cakebaby Fri 28-Feb-14 21:19:00

Ds is 6 months, we began weaning 2 weeks ago starting with purée ideas from Annabel Karmel. Its been going OK, just a few spoonfuls late afternoon to start with. Much face pulling going on, but ds makes the cutest yum yum noises when he likes something grin

At a weight clinic this week, HV commented all the things he'd had were sweet and I should give him savoury flavours. He's had apple, pear, carrot, swede, broccoli/cauli/pea combo, sweet potato/leek combo, banana and a couple of fruit pouches. He clearly enjoys apple & pear the most and will eat plenty.

So should I give him the tastes he enjoys to encourage him to eat or just offer some savoury tastes for a while? I have tried him with some other tastes, but he'll only accept a few mouthfuls, he then gets a dessert of his favourite fruits. I want him to enjoy the experience of eating, not to be offering him things he's not enjoying. Equally I don't want to raise a fusspot hmm

SavoyCabbage Fri 28-Feb-14 21:22:52

I don't know the answer to this but instinctively I didn't go pave my dd many sweet things. I gave her sweet potato and apple rather than just a apple for example. A lot of vegetables are quite sweet anyway. Especially the root vegetables.

ExBrightonBell Fri 28-Feb-14 21:38:31

I don't know what you should be doing, but I would try a wide range of savoury things and not overload the sweet flavours. I wouldn't worry about whether he immediately seems to enjoy a flavour - it's a long game, and it's more important he experiences variety (IMHO) than sticks to favourites. You also don't have to always offer something sweet after a savoury meal. I think it's useful for them not to always expect a pudding.

cakebaby Fri 28-Feb-14 21:42:04

Thanks for replying. Its just another stick to beat yourself with it seems! I thought the idea of starting with root veggies was because they are sweeter and more likely to be accepted. I guess I'll look out for some more savoury combinations to try.

cakebaby Fri 28-Feb-14 21:45:13

X-post....yes I shouldn't always offer fruit afterwards I suppose. I think it just feels better when he's actually had a good few spoonfuls of something rather than a few tastes and then losing interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now