BLW banana tips!

(13 Posts)
Spotsondots Fri 28-Feb-14 09:13:48

My six month old DS seems to love banana but once he has held it more than once or twice it's too slippery and he gets frustrated and upset because he can't get hold of it any more. He will happily nosedive on it if I hold it steady for him grin

Does anyone have any tips on making it a bit easier for little hands? At the moment we are offering him a big chunk about 3 inches long at a time. Thanks!

MrsCharlesBrandon Fri 28-Feb-14 09:15:35

Leave the skin on. Mine would happily gnaw the flesh off and leave the skin, and the same with cucumber.

GingerRodgers Fri 28-Feb-14 09:17:48

If you put your finger down the middle of the banana it will split into 3 which can make it easier to hold.

poopooheadwillyfatface Fri 28-Feb-14 09:17:57

give half of a banana with skin on.
trim a cm of skin off the cut end

tada banana lolly

Spotsondots Fri 28-Feb-14 09:36:28

Thanks everyone. Hadn't thought of leaving the skin on - love the idea of a banana lolly! grin Also will try splitting it into the three mini bananas. Let the banana adventures continue! grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Feb-14 11:52:16

You can also freeze bananas, great for weaning. Have you tried chopping and adding to porridge or ready brek? You could also mash and serve on toast or eggy bread or try these if he's 6 months its fine to use full fat cows milk in them.

FrumiousBandersnatch Fri 28-Feb-14 17:04:45

I find that very ripe bananas are harder for DD, so I use firmer ones and crinkle cut.

Spotsondots Fri 28-Feb-14 23:26:25

Jilted those look delicious! Thanks for the link.

Spotsondots Fri 28-Feb-14 23:28:06

Fruminous - crinkle cutting them is also a great idea.

Thanks everyone for your banana related assistance smile

Spotsondots Tue 04-Mar-14 22:46:47

Banana update!

Tried the pancakes today (well, it had to be done!) they were enthusiastically gummed and produced some comical facial expressions grin

Banana split into three bits is also proving to be a winner.

Thanks again all smile

rootypig Tue 04-Mar-14 22:51:07

Some people say roll it in something crumbly! What, i know not. crushed cornflakes? i always just cut it into long thin strips so DD could smush it to pieces dig her fingers in. Hang in there, the slippery food chasing stage is over quite quickly! A whole banana is gone in 15 seconds now shock

evangelinelily Wed 12-Mar-14 03:21:27

I rolled it in weetabix at first to make it grippable

KikiShack Wed 12-Mar-14 09:29:15

I'm starting weaning in a couple of weeks and this is one of my favourite threads I've read so far, I just wanted to say thanks for making me smile, I can't wait to try all these banana tricks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now