Salt

(6 Posts)
evangelinelily Thu 27-Feb-14 14:40:22

I'm worried about monitoring salt content. DD is nearly 7 months and BLW. Most of our meals are homemade from scratch, so no added salt. Just wondering about occasional things like Weetabix, Babybel, Pesto sauce (I haven't been making my own pesto- maybe I should?) Should I be concerned about salt in theses things, or is it ok from time to time?

TheScience Thu 27-Feb-14 14:42:01

They eat so little at that age, I personally didn't worry about salt in things like bread and cheese. If you're not adding salt/stock cubes to cooking I'm sure she's fine.

TheScience Thu 27-Feb-14 14:46:39

The limit at that age is 1g salt per day, right? So even if you gave him a weetabix (0.12g) and a babybel (0.4g) and a slice of shop bought white bread (0.4g) he'd still be under that limit.

CornishYarg Thu 27-Feb-14 15:29:32

Some advice I read: "If you're worrying about salt content then you don't need to be!" Essentially, if you're checking labels, not adding salt to your cooking and are aware of foods that are salty and aren't giving them too often, then you're almost certainly keeping a sufficiently close eye on the salt issue.

BonaDea Thu 27-Feb-14 15:32:22

Agree with yarg. If most things are homemade it's fine!

evangelinelily Mon 03-Mar-14 04:17:56

Thanks guys :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now