is there a 9/10 month food regression?!

(7 Posts)
muddylettuce Thu 27-Feb-14 13:38:41

Previously adventurous baby is now refusing food, unless it's made with tomatoes and Mediterranean herbs. She even gagged at her favourite bananas the other day. I'm not worried about nutrition just yet but somewhat mourning the freezer load of home cooked baby food that is being wasted daily and wondering if normal service will resume soon. I initially blamed it in teeth but it's been going on for weeks now.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 27-Feb-14 14:19:05

What do you do when the food is refused? Are you offering alternatives?

muddylettuce Thu 27-Feb-14 15:07:51

Yes and no. For example, for lunch she has a savory meal followed by fruit or a yoghurt. So if she doesn't eat the savory part she will be offered fruit...if she decides to eat it. She'll generally eat the pureed/mashed fruit but is refusing fruit served as finger food which is unusual. However for dinner, she has finger food or mashed up portions of what we eat, on that occasion she doesn't get an alternative and we rarely have pudding.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 27-Feb-14 15:16:13

Sounds like you are handling it well. Are you sure there aren't any more teeth coming through?

trilbydoll Thu 27-Feb-14 17:44:17

My 9.5 mo seems to have suddenly discovered she has the power to refuse food. She only gets offered something else if I have something else to offer, which is about 50% of the time because I'm so disorganised! No advice but you're not alone.

muddylettuce Thu 27-Feb-14 18:35:14

Thanks guys, good to know it's not just mine. It could still be teeth I guess as her 8th has been making its way up the last couple of weeks. She's never refused food before when teething though. It's my fault really, I told my nct group the other week that she never went off her food when teething...she obviously heard me! Tonight she ate some of our red pepper risotto and some mango chunks and I made some carrot and cumin muffins to try and get some variety in her tomato based diet. I guess it could be worse, a friend of mine's son only eats dairylea triangles since he's been poorly. Just when you think you've got it sussed they throw in a curve ball! X

EmmaLL25 Thu 27-Feb-14 21:47:20

We are going through similar with 9.5 month old. Has discovered he can spit food out and does so with relish. He was eating really well but last couple of weeks he's been really picky - he'll have a few bites of this, then that but not a lot of anything. Things that got yums one day get spat out the next with a face that looks like I've poisoned him!

My strategy is to have lots of little things and when he's had enough of one move onto next - so lunch might be cheese, crackers, cucumber sticks, yoghurt, fruit. There's lots of waste (or I eat what's left and am shortly going to put on all the weight I've lost breast feeding).

Was chatting to a mum of a 11 month old today and she said her son had done similar but seemed to be coming out of it.

We have also had teething and a cold here so not helping.

Is reassuring to hear other babies are doing the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now