Constipated 8 month old- any food tips?

(16 Posts)
JELT Mon 24-Feb-14 13:39:11

Just that really- I find she's ok if we stick to fruit but then she gets hungry and we end up giving her weetabix/mashed normal food and we're back to square one with her being bunged up for 3 days and then doing a painful poo.
Stewed apple and prunes alongside a normal diet worked a treat with my dc1 & 2 if they ever had this problem but she seems to have a digestive system that makes it rock hard!
I'd really appreciate advice on foods anyone else has found helpful. (She's bf).

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 24-Feb-14 13:46:44

Tbh I'd probably drop a meal and replace with a bf.

Maybe her eyes are bigger than her tummy and the body just can't cope with too much food.

Try again in a couple if weeks.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 24-Feb-14 14:05:08

How often are you offering food? Is she bf or ff? If she's hungry, could you just offer more milk?

plummyjam Mon 24-Feb-14 18:34:59

mango

JELT Mon 24-Feb-14 18:42:57

She's been having 3 meals a day for a month now and bf in between (so 7am,10am,2pm,6pm and 8pm ish as well as one in the night). I'm doing mixed feeding so a bit of puree and anything that her brother and sister are having for finger food (mainly cooked veg or salad and a bit of meat or fish if it's the right size). I give her a lot of mashed fruit and veg but I have also been giving her pureed spag bol, rice pudding, stew and pototo etc..
She does have weetabix in the morning, does anyone know if this causes constipation? (I would've thought the reverse?)

I'm wondering if I should revert to just fruit and veg and bf for a while...

JELT Mon 24-Feb-14 18:43:27

Thanks plummyjam, I'll try that tomorrow!

Innermagic Mon 24-Feb-14 18:46:16

My ds was like this to, he was Ebf and think it took his digestive system a while to sort its self out and become regular again, when he was constipated I would squeeze an orange into some warm water within an hour we would have some movement.

gretagrape Mon 24-Feb-14 19:24:38

Dried apricots have a laxative effect - either chopped up really small on breakfast, or if you've got time you can make a kind of jam by simmering some in water for about 20 mins, then pureeing and freezing in ice cube trays.

Parliamo Mon 24-Feb-14 19:36:20

I was just about to post asking the same question! I can't get enough orange juice down her. I've stopped giving her toast and gone back to veg. I've just put her to bed knowing I will do at least 2 pooey nappies in the night of stupid little pebbles that she'll cry for half an hour doing :-(

Is it just one of those things or do I need to think about an intolerance to something?

StuckOnARollercoaster Mon 24-Feb-14 19:47:36

We're 8 months and had this also as her solid intake went up. We just seem to now be getting to about 2 or 3 easy to pass large poos a day. I think some of it was probably time for her digestion to adjust and the other part is with most meals she has her 'poo' puree - soaked apricots and prunes whizzed into a nice lumpy puree. If appropriate its mixed in - e.g. with porridge or custard, otherwise its spooned on its own as a 'dessert'.
Have struggled to get her to drink but am persevering with 2 spoons of food/mouthfuls of finger food and then trying to get a spoon of water down, since I can't seem to get her to drink water...
I have no basis for this - but my gut feel is that weetabix would be quite constipating - it goes quite solid when wet so wouldn't expect it to have a laxative effect.
p.s. I was advised to avoid banana and egg as they can constipate rather than make it easier.

Cies Mon 24-Feb-14 19:47:44

Make sure baby is drinking water.

soupmaker Mon 24-Feb-14 19:56:08

Can't help, but I have a similar issue with almost 7 month old DD2. Am hoping its just her system getting used to a bit that of food. I've tried the stewed pears in a bit of orange juice trick and it didn't work. I keep offering BF to try and get things moving too.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 24-Feb-14 19:58:10

Kiwi

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 24-Feb-14 19:58:52

It does show up quite scarily in pooey nappies though

JELT Tue 25-Feb-14 19:35:13

Thanks for all the tips, I'll definitely try dried apricots tomorrow. I've done two days of only giving her apple, mango, kiwi, plum, yogurt, cooked carrot, broccolli and wholemeal toast and lots of bf. Thanks for the orange juice tip, my mum actually suggested that as well so must be a good old fashioned technique! She screwed her face up but drank a bit out of a doidy cup. But despite cutting out the more 'solid' food the poos seem exactly the same-painful and hard...and she's desperately hungry and bouncing up and down in her high chair trying to reach for her brother and sister's food, only going quiet when I give her food.

Parliamo-I feel for you, I know it's awful feeding them when you know they'll be in pain later. But I don't think you need to worry about food intolerance yet. I'm hoping it's just the big adjustment to solid foods, it must be a huge leap for their systems to go from milk to different textures and consistencies. It's been good to post this as it's made me realised how young she is and how I've only been weaning her for a couple of months.

Thanks for all the food tips, it's good to share!

Parliamo Mon 03-Mar-14 15:10:10

How are you getting on? I tried just about everything suggested here and still only rabbit poo! DH got some lactulose from the pharmacy on sat, and still no joy today. So I went to the doctors and now have movicol. She's going to explode soon! I'm scared to take her out until its cleared!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now