Mashing rather than pureeing ok for 25 week old?

(8 Posts)
Gingerbreadpixie Fri 07-Feb-14 17:37:10

I'm just starting to wean DS1 at 25 weeks. I don't have a hand blender, is it ok to mash his fruit/veg with a fork until very mushy? I'll add formula to make it smoother. But it doesn't have to be completely smooth at his age does it? Some small, soft lumps are ok?

Just wanted to check

ExBrightonBell Fri 07-Feb-14 17:40:37

Have you heard of baby led weaning? You give them food as it comes, without mashing or pureeing (with sensible exceptions such as no whole nuts, no hard veg to begin with), and they feed themselves. So at 25 weeks it would be fine to give mashed food. You could even try giving it as it comes and see what he makes of it!

Gingerbreadpixie Fri 07-Feb-14 18:04:31

Yes, I've been thinking about going down the BLW route actually. I offered DS mashed (lumpy) carrot on my finger earlier. He was fine with it. Grabbed my finger to get at it! I think I might bake some sweet potato chips tomorrow and see how he gets on. Any rules on the size of the food offered?

ExBrightonBell Fri 07-Feb-14 18:10:53

It's a good idea to do batons of things like carrot, courgette etc. long enough that there is some left sticking out when held in a baby fist. I found steamed veg was a good starting point, plus things like sweet potato wedges etc. Broccoli trees always work well. Things like spaghetti and noodles are fun to try as well.

Round fruit like grapes I would cut in half, and I wouldn't give raw apple, carrot or anything hard at all until there are lots of teeth and biting/chewing has been figured out.

Chunderella Fri 07-Feb-14 20:33:44

Yes certainly mashing is fine. You don't have to use purees and in fact some babies don't like the texture of them.

lilyaldrin Fri 07-Feb-14 20:34:49

Mashed foods or soft finger foods are both fine.

joanna0211marie Tue 18-Feb-14 20:18:57

My dds favourite thing to feed herself with is sticks of cucumber, the soft inside bit, great for soothing gums too

evangelinelily Thu 27-Feb-14 14:34:03

I didn't buy a blender- just hand mashed a few meals and then started giving the food whole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now