weaning early

(67 Posts)
HJ06 Wed 26-Jul-06 22:12:07

My ds is 14 weeks old, and for the past week he has been hungry all day,feeding every hour or so and and started waking every 2-3 hours at night.
he has only put on 4oz in 10 day, where as he has been putting on up to a pound on in 10 days.
He has been crying none stop from been hungry and tired. I gave him a teaspoon of baby rice for the first today and he was like a different baby, back to him happy self.
Has any body had this, what did you do?

It's a growth spurt and/or the heat. Babies really aren't meant to have solids before 6 months - 26 weeks. They cheer up, eventually, whether or not you give them baby rice.

suzi2 Wed 26-Jul-06 22:34:01

4oz in 10 days is quite reasonable - especially when he has been gaining a pound every 10 days (which is quite a lot!). Weight gain does start to slow after 3 months. I used to weigh my DS every 2 or 3 wks and average it out - about 5oz a week average which I was told was spot on.

the crying, hungry thing is a growth spurt. Some are longer and more traumatic for all involved than others. My DS had a particularly long one between 4 & 5 months that I thought would never end and wondered if he needed solids. But it did pass and he was chirpy again between 5 & 6 months. He actually got worse a few weeks into weaning (6 months) again.

Anyway, really do hold off on the weaning until near 6 months. There are so many good reasons to. Your babys health being the first. A bit of babyrice and puree is not going to give him more calories than milk, just more bulk. It really isn't good in the long run for him to get it this early. The bonus for me waiting until 6 months was that I didn't do any babyrice or purees or spoons...!

CorrieDale Thu 27-Jul-06 07:50:56

Please please don't continue with the baby rice. 14 weeks is way too young for anything other than milk. At this age, baby's gut is still quite porous and open, to allow milk to be digested easily. Trouble is that anything other than milk can also pass through the gut into the bloodstream. Which isn't good. As Suzi2 says, this is a difficult time for babies. Between growth spurts and the heat and them being able to sit up and take notice now (which must be quite scary for them when you think about it) they do tend to become unsettled and it lasts for a few weeks. So stick with the milk, this is a phase and it'll pass. You might want to read this leaflet which explains weaning nicely, including the risks.

munz Thu 27-Jul-06 07:55:45

ooh yes Joey had the same thing I put it down to us going on holiday, it lasted for about a week to ten days, apparently they have a growth spurt now thou. just feed more and you'll come thru it.

I basically went with it as was determined not to wean/give formula, slep when he sleeps and hope for the best, at night - how do u feel about co sleeping? personally I couldn't/don't like doing it so didn't but mum was on hand for me during the day of the worst bit so took him for me.

your not ment to wean till 17 weeks at the v earliest.

munz Thu 27-Jul-06 07:57:06

(also their weight gain does slow down, we went from an average of 11oz p/w to 13 weeks, then only 6 oz to 17 weeks, neither i nor H/V was worried as he's a big boy anywasy and is alert/happy and healthy.)

HJ06 Thu 27-Jul-06 17:34:05

saw nurse at health centre 2day, wants to see ds next week to check his weight. said some babies have mad growth spurts lasting a few weeks (thought feeding settled after a couple of days)
seems a bit like more like his normal self today so hope he sleeps better.
oh and anything for hicups

CorrieDale Thu 27-Jul-06 20:14:50

Just time, I fear! A bf used to help DS. Mind you, he still gets them now at 13mo.

HJ06 Thu 27-Jul-06 20:47:39

i have ds in cos next to bed, he was sleeping very well untill this past week. If he is very bad i put him in between me and his cot with his own bedding (oh and cant fall between)

DebitheScot Tue 01-Aug-06 15:32:47

Interesting that most of you are saying to wait till 6 months before weaning. My health visitor said 4 months but that I might need to start early as ds was quite big (9lb 1oz), she did also suggest that if I needed to start early to only give rice for a few weeks and not start on veg and fruit till 4 months. He's 14 weeks now and seems ok on milk only so will keep going with just that for now. He does eat a lot, 4 big breastfeeds and a 9oz bottle at night, but isn't desperate for food for too long before each feed

2Happy Tue 01-Aug-06 15:36:04

Your HV told you to wean before 4 months?! [slaps hand to forehead in despair]

2Happy Tue 01-Aug-06 15:46:52

Tiktok (baby feeding and MN guru) wrote this on this thread a bit ago. Hope it helps a bit.

"By tiktok on Friday, 14 July, 2006 12:31:58 PM
<chews carpet in frustration>

The guidance in the UK has never been 4 months - it was 4-6 months until 2003, so 6 months was always 'allowed' in the guidance. HVs who said '4 mths' were getting it wrong - maybe not always their fault as the training in this area has been woeful and still is.

In the guidance, provision is made for invidual needs, because no baby wakes up at 6 mths exactly desperate for solids.

It's a developmental stage, which most babies will reach at some time close to 6 mths.

Reaching for food is not a sign of needing solids. It's a sign of being old enough to see something and grab it. Babies do this with anything, and they may well put it to their mouths.

I can understand aragon's problem - early solids are culturally the norm in some places and people do what they want in the end. I see the guidance not so much as telling indivdual mothers what to do with their babies, as guidance for healthcare workers and others to support solids from about 6 mths and to enable mothers to continue with excl milk feeding until then, and using the guidance as a way of educating parents about babies' needs. "

Scoobydooooo Tue 01-Aug-06 15:53:27

Well i was told to start weaning at 4 months & now that dd is 6 months i am being told no more purred stuff & to start giving dd "proper" food, i find this weaning process very confusing & to be quite honest i feel people should just go by there baby, i started weaning dd at 4 months & she loved having the odd bit of pured food but now she is 6 months & i am finding it hard she is very un interested but the HV the other day was not impressed by the amount of mild dd was having & not enogh solids grrrrr
She said dd should be having no more than 16 ozs a day, but at the end of the day if dd does not want "solids" & crys for her milk i will give it to her, i could not give 2 hoots what they say she is my daughter & i know her best.
she now has milk in the monring, then weetabix or sometihng mid morning snack, then milk again then some lunch & a small pudding (sometimes) she is so not interested in anymore after that, she has snacked on some melon today but she sucked that for 10 mins & then throw it on the floor

Do what you think is best for your baby, but i will say i think 14 weeks is a tad early & peobably just a growth spurt.

wannaBe1974 Wed 02-Aug-06 21:42:50

I would say do what you think is best for your baby. I weened my ds at 4 months. Then the guidance was to start weening at 4 months - he was hungry but not interested in milk. I gave him baby rice and never looked back. All babies are different, most babies were weened well before six months until 2003, now suddenly we're being told to do it differently. There is absolutely no way on this planet I could have waited till six months to ween my ds. Imo I didn't do anything wrong as that was the guideline back then. If I have another baby I will go with that baby and if it is necessary to ween before six months then that is what I will do.

HJ06 Wed 02-Aug-06 22:44:23

debithescot, is that just as night or in 24 hours?
ds has settled again, not needed to give him baby rice since that day, his feeding has settled again, every 2 hour in the day any 2-3 times in the in the night (8pm till 7am.
he was 8.5 when he was born so he was quite big

FairyMum Wed 02-Aug-06 22:48:05

I weaned my first 2 at 4 months. They would feed every 2 hours around the clock and everyone told me to wean early so they would sleep longer. It didn't make a difference at all. Still woke every 2 hours until they were around 6 months when they finally started to settle a bit more.

HJ06 Fri 04-Aug-06 13:48:06

Just when i thiught he had started to settled again, He is still up every 2-3 hours in the night (he was only up 1-2 times a night and then only for 10 min bf), he is up for up to 30 min at a time, dont know what else to try, could it be that he has just got into the habit?
Oh and was told by GP when he was 8 weeks that it was ok to give him baby rice if he needs it.

FanjoFanjoWhosGotTheFanjo Fri 04-Aug-06 14:02:42

at GP saying baby rice ok from 8 weeks. Where are these people from?

Oh, and Wannabe1974, it's only fairly recently that weaning before 6 months was normal - I think in the 20s, people were meant to wait until 9 months.

USAUKMum Fri 04-Aug-06 14:06:47

hi HJ06

My two have always been really hungry (at 2 & 5 they still eat every 2-3 hrs -- just not from me )

DD (5) was weaned at 14 wks (so v. early) -- 8 lb 8 oz at birth. She was feeding every 1 1/5 - 2 hrs (for 45 min) which dropped to 2 - 3 hrly. Then at 13 wks went back to 1.5 hrly round the clock. After a week of "trying to fit an extra feed in" the more experienced HV said to try feeding her. Went down a treat, no prob getting it i (e.g. tongue pushing it out, gagging etc). and within a month was up to 3 meals a day, b 6 mths 3 meals, 2 snacks + 1 night feed. Didn't drop the night one until 10 mths.

DS (2) was weaned at 16 wks. 8 lbs 3 oz (at 38 wks) at birth. Though the HV (non-experienced one) told me to try and hold on. Was going through exact same as with DD and exhausted. So gave him baby rice -- first day ate 1 tsp in 1 min (not joking) and then cried and then fed 40 min. Second day, same thing. Third day, I doubled amt of baby rice, DS smiled, then fed for 30 min. But dropped back down to 1 night fed (kept this until 11 mths -- despite all efforts to drop it) and within a mth was chowing down like no tomorrow. He eats more than DD now!

But must say, my two definately have their Dads (my DH) metabolism !! The three of them never stop -- a bit tiring for me and my slower pace of life!! At least DS helped me lose 30 lbs !

(sorry for the long response!)

dizzybint Fri 04-Aug-06 14:31:47

re those health visitors.. 'more experienced' could also translate to old fashioned or set in her ways, and 'less experienced' could translate to modern, up to date, newly trained.. IMHO.

FairyMum Fri 04-Aug-06 14:38:09

I know it's really tiring all this waking at night, but it is also quite normal. All mine were like that and like I said in previous post it really didn't help weaning them. My advice would be just to try to relax a bt and not see it as a problem. I know you are tired, but he will evetually settle. Follow his lead.

zubb Fri 04-Aug-06 14:38:22

it's not to do with size of baby though, larger babies than those mentioned here are not weaned till 6 months.

HJ06 Fri 04-Aug-06 15:12:38

just going to have to stick with it,if i can get another 5 weeks i would be happy as he has now started reaching out to food i am eating and copying chewing movments.
He also has started wanting feeding when he smells food? whatever thats about.
on a + he has put on 11oz in 11 days.

USAUKMum Fri 04-Aug-06 17:37:36

No "more experienced" didn't mean older -- it meant better. The "less experienced" one was known to be clueless throughout the whole town.

Must also add both children were also losing weight during this period despite all the milk feeds. And only put on weight once given solids. They were both bf until 15 months.

I am saying that they are guidelines and not applicable to every baby.

HJ06 Fri 04-Aug-06 19:51:29

Spoken to another HV this evening, going to see if someone can come out to find out what is going on with him, think it might be a habbit than he has got into (knows he will get a certain reaction from us) although tonight is the first time in weeks that he has not cried to be fed for an hour of so after his bath.
He has been falling asleep after his bath when i feed him, but when i put him in his cot he is awake crying to be fed again within a couple of mins.But tonight he has gone down really well, no crying or shouting.

archiesmummy Fri 04-Aug-06 21:23:43

Hi HJ06, I'm not sure they really start habits so early, he is just a baby. My DS didn't get a proper evening routine til 5 months or so and often cried after being put in his cot. He still almost always wake up 1 hour after his bedtime for a top up (he is 7 months) but I don't see that as a problem..
And to add my voice to all others, please don't wean DS til 26 weeks, it's not necessary. They do reach out for food and they make out they are chewing, but if you gave him a piece of broccoli or something I bet he wouldn't know what to do with it. Good Luck

HJ06 Fri 04-Aug-06 21:35:05

feeding him is not the problem, it is how upset he is getting, it is not like him to cry for for food or to cry at bed time, its like something has really unsettled him.
As giving him baby rice made no difference i have not given it to him again, just dont know what else is wrong.

archiesmummy Fri 04-Aug-06 22:25:03

Maybe just a growth spurt? I hope he gets back to "normal" soon..

vitomum Fri 04-Aug-06 22:36:12

It is really hard at this age. I remember feeling that ds just constantly changed the goalposts. Whenever i thought we had got some routine established then things changes and we were left trying to get to grips with his new plan! You will work it out it just takes time. Personally i used a dummy wih ds and that helped him settle too. Good luck.

FanjoFanjoWhosGotTheFanjo Sat 05-Aug-06 07:29:03

They are often really upset. Babies are like that. I don't think solid food would help, particularly not this early.

HJ06 Sat 05-Aug-06 15:09:08

tried a dummy, will not have it, he likes his hands.

Worst night in a long time last night , up every 2-3 hour, would only sleep if i feed hm till he fell asleep, was then up 2-4am, crying none stop(must love us next door).
It is made worse by the fact my family live 45 min drive away and dh is head chef of a hotel and resturant so works long hours 6 days a week so i dont really get much of a break.

This has gone from does ds need weaning to whats all the crying about!

Think i need to go and eat lots and lots of chocolate.

archiesmummy Sat 05-Aug-06 15:46:20

Yes, chocolate is a good thing when you have a baby.
I just posted in breast & bottle feeding about DS waking 10-15 times last night. Today he is fine. Don't know if it's the effects of the stomach bug we all had at the weekend or if he is starting to teeth again.. Anyway, not a lot you can do, just give lots of cuddles.

HJ06 Sat 05-Aug-06 16:04:07

just read it, its good to know i am not the only one going through it (sometimes need reminding). will be watching for ideas.

archiesmummy Sat 05-Aug-06 16:09:47

AS I see it, he has slept fine in the day and this morning I actually got a 2 hour nap (wow), so I'll just try to take things a bit more as they come, otherwise I'll get stressed out about it and it's not worth it.

FrannyandZooey Sat 05-Aug-06 16:24:14

I don't get why people are happy to follow worldwide health advice on virtually every matter except this one. Would you say to someone who had been given expert medical advice for their baby "Oh just do what you think is right for your baby" "Just follow what you think is best, don't listen to them"?

Why do people think they know better than the very rigorous research carried out by the World Health Organisation, which states that it is best not to introduce solid foods until 6 months? I don't get it.

FrannyandZooey Sat 05-Aug-06 16:25:14

Oh and wanted to say (less stroppily) that I am sorry for those of you whose babies are waking all the time. Mine did it too, it drives you somewhere near insanity some days doesn't it?

HJ06 Sat 05-Aug-06 16:51:23

Think i have been lucky with the night time thing until now as he has only been up 1-2 times a night, a lot of people say thats great for a bf baby, but to us its normal.
HV said looks as though he is teething so well just have to wait and see.
I just worry as this is not normal for him, maybay he is just a bad tempered little monkey.

archiesmummy Sat 05-Aug-06 21:13:23

Just wanted to say I completely agree with you FrannyandZooey. Even people who know the dangers of weaning early still get tempted into it. I don't understand what the rush is. I am normally the odd one out and always have to defend why I didn't wean him earlier.... Annoying!

FrannyandZooey Sat 05-Aug-06 21:30:37

Yes I mean I can totally see why people gte tempted to try it - I did it myself, I weaned aged 24 weeks because I thought ds 'needed' it, but I can't understand why people would egg one another on to ignore very sensible and well-researched medical guidance in favour of "doing what you feel is best". It's very odd.

archiesmummy Sat 05-Aug-06 21:39:21

And it annoys me that they almost make you feel there is something wrong with you for following the correct advise. It's just another milepost to a lot of people I think, like sitting up, rolling & walking, completely ignoring the fact that it's not something LO's are actually doing themselves. I know HV's are still advising (mine did) 4 months, but there is so much info out there, that this is not really an excuse.

archiesmummy Sat 05-Aug-06 21:40:15

And 24 weeks isn't like 14 weeks is it.

FrannyandZooey Sat 05-Aug-06 21:42:19

Well, you know, I didn't follow the guidelines either, so I shouldn't criticise others. But I wouldn't go around saying "Oh just follow your instincts" when there is a body of respected advice out there to follow.

archiesmummy Sat 05-Aug-06 21:49:45

I think because so many health professionals don't believe in the 26 week weaning then poeple don't take it seriously. There must be a reason. I only know 1 other person in RL who waited til 26 weeks and she regrets that she did. She has been led to beleive that if she had started earlier then DD would have taken to it better!!!
Oops, I can hear DS awake, back in a mo (I hope)

HJ06 Sun 06-Aug-06 12:58:03

poeple had been telling me for weeks to start weaning him, it was my mum that spent 2 hours trying to get me to give him baby rice, i was been told he would be much happier. My aim is been to get to 4-5 months then wait and see how things go and if i can hold out till 6 months then great.
my brothers girlfriend started weaning dd at 16 week (she is 5 weeks older thn ds), dut she gives her 3 meals a day already, now thats wrong.
Ds does seem to be much better, had a great night last night, took about 10 min to get him to go down, when he did slept from about 8-3, then 3.30-7.30, so whatever has been bothering him seems to have settled.

CorrieDale Sun 06-Aug-06 13:17:46

I think archiesmummy has a good point. My HVs aren't bad on the whole, and they do say 'you're recommended to wait until 6 months'. But it's like it's some incredibly difficult target that the government has set (probably just out of sheer spite against a Tory constituency), and mums know their own babies best so should wean when they think the baby is ready. Then, in their postnatal weaning talk, they give out info about what to give at 4 months and how many meals a day the baby should be on at 5 months, etc, and then say 'of course you can go through these stages much faster if you wean at 6 months'. So it's pretty clear what the 'norm' is. And their 'signs of readiness' start off with 'starts waking up at night', which isn't even a sign, let alone the most important! No wonder I felt like a circus freak because I weaned at 6 months. "Well done you!" they said, as if I'd scaled Everest. Quickly followed by: "oooh, he's dropped another centile hasn't he? We'll have to see what happens now he's on solids." Any mothers of 4 month babies who heard that little exchange will have rushed home to get the baby rice going.

If I have another baby, guess who'll be their least popular mum during the weaning talk... heh heh heh.

geekgrrl Sun 06-Aug-06 13:23:15

why do people find it so incredibly hard to wait???!!! I really don't get this, sorry. i've got three children and found waiting until they're six months or older (my eldest was 8 months when she started solids) really easy. I just didn't give them anything other than BM - what's so hard about that? I found it about as hard as not letting my toddler have cola.

They were all between 9.5 - 10lbs at birth by the way and continued along that centile, so none of this 'but mine was 8lbs at birth so needed solids' crap please.

FrannyandZooey Sun 06-Aug-06 13:27:45

I think it's the pressure, geekgrrl. I was convinced not to wait the extra 2 weeks by my (very nice) HV. Next time I would keep away from hvs unless my baby is actually ill - in which case I would go to the gp. As a new mum you are so vulnerable and desperately wanting to do the right thing for your child - especially as far as feeding is concerned. This is why hvs are in such an influential position, and why it makes me so mad to hear that they have given crap advice.

archiesmummy Sun 06-Aug-06 13:46:53

We should start a campaign to get HV's educated. My friends HV actually did say 6 months and explained all the dangers of early weaning, but still everyone in their "parent baby" group weaned long before 26 weeks, so I put a lot of it down to MIL's and even mums aswell. I know my MIL hassled us to wean him coz he was chewing everything and must therefor be hungry. What annoys me most I think is that overbearing look they give you when you say you are waiting til 6 months. Makes me want to scream: it's not me there is something wrong with, it's all of you that are crazy!!!! When I had DS weighed at 6 months I said something about all on BM, perhaps expecting a pat on the back and a well done. Instead all this HV said was : you must give him solids immidiately and within a week you can have him on 3 meals a day. Crazy people!

FrannyandZooey Sun 06-Aug-06 13:50:42

One of the saddest things I have found is that you don't get credit for doing what you think is right and what in this case is recommended as being right. I breastfed ds up to age 2 and beyond as also recommended by the WHO and got nothing but disbelief and in one case outright scorn from hvs. The one medical person who has ever congratulated me on it is my Muslim GP - in her culture it is regarded as the ideal but they believe not many women are capable of achieving it - big kudos for those who can. It makes me sad to think how different things are in this culture

HJ06 Sun 06-Aug-06 14:05:18

i have found a lot of people telling me how they startd weaning anything from 12 weeks old, the only person i know that waited till 6 months said dont wait that long.
it can can be hard when its your first to know what to do for the best. It is made worse by GP saying it is ok to give baby rice and baby foods saying from 4 months.
I have slso had people (including family) saying he would be happier on formula as he is a hugry baby, the fact he loves to bf and will not take a bottle from me (even ebm), they seem to forget.

HJ06 Sun 06-Aug-06 14:14:31

it is good to hear from both sides, and to know it can be done, and not to jump in just becouse he is 4 months.
he is nearly 16 weeks now, and feel that without hearing from other people, would not have believed i could carry on just bf for another 2 months.

FrannyandZooey Sun 06-Aug-06 14:19:09

You really can do it, HJ - breast milk has loads more calories in it than any food a baby of this age can handle right now anyway, so even if he is hungry, weaning him won't solve the problem. There's nothing magic in rice or any other food that will fill him up more or do him more good than good old fashioned breastmilk. It's the perfect food for him - changes all the time to suit his needs as he grows - easy for him to digest - doesn't cause allergies or other health problems as early weaning can.

It is exhausting having a hungry baby of this age, but faffing around with purees and god knows what will only make your life more complicated at this stage. Your milk is just right for him and well done to you for your concern to do what is right

FrannyandZooey Sun 06-Aug-06 14:20:35

Here's a useful link to refer to for when they are all mithering on at you

HJ06 Sun 06-Aug-06 15:09:27

thanks for all the help, and just think of all the cake and chocs i will be able to eat, and still be loose weight.

geekgrrl Sun 06-Aug-06 15:18:56

that's the thing HJ06, a 5 month old who is exclusively bf really gets the weight to drop off you.
I never lost much to begin with, but as the baby gets older the weight really falls off.

HJ06 Sun 06-Aug-06 15:34:38

lost most of baby weight, just things like skin tight size 10 jeans, and still a bit round my waist will not shift , but then i make a cake filled with buttercream at least once a week.

littlepiggie Sun 06-Aug-06 16:01:04

changed name from HJ06.
What i would like to know is why you can buy anything and everything in a jar for a baby from 4 months, and what the hell is in it?
(i dont plan to give ds jars as i love to cook and dh is a chef)

CorrieDale Sun 06-Aug-06 20:29:58

For no reason other than money, money, money! (Love the new name, BTW!) They're allowed to get away with it because the 6 month thing is a guideline and not the law. (And if it were the law, there'd be whole departments in C&G, Nestle, etc dedicated to getting around it! IMHO. Allegedly.) Greekgrrl is right you know. It's pretty easy to wait until 6 months. The toughie is combating the in-laws and out-laws. My mum was convinced, absoluuuuutely convinced, that DS was being starved. I could not mention sleeplessness or weight without seeing her brow furrow, and she'd say "well, if you had him on solids...." I stopped mentioning in the end. And if anybody raised solids, I'd just say 'not an option', becuase there was no point trying to argue coherently with them. FWIW, they still think I was wrong, but they're older and wiser and don't say it out loud any more! And it was bliss not having to puree. Just think: you'll only have to make one meal at each mealtime. Baby will be able to eat everything you can (bar honey and whole nuts of course). When I hear about the palaver that my friends went through - blending, freezing, spoon-feeding. Evenings spent doing all that when they could have been sleeping, or reading, or MNing! I can't understand how anybody could ever think that's easier than whipping out a boob for six months, and then giving the baby bits of what you're having yourself. (Rant over now!)

Newbiemum Sun 04-Nov-07 10:44:11

Thanks girls, have been felt a bit pressured by friends who are all weaning early (4.5 months). Reading thread has helped me decide to keep on BF until 6 months. I think hardest thing about being new mum is having confidence in making decision which is right for you once you have listened/read/told "advice" from HV's, google, in-laws, baby books and mum friends. Would love my son (19 weeks) to sleep through as hate being tired all the time but realise babies cannot be programmed and change constantly.

zebedee1 Sun 04-Nov-07 20:30:46

Newbie mum, your friends who are weaning early to make baby sleep through may be sadly disappointed! DS was sleeping through 6.30am-6pm from 4 months but since introducing a few purees and some rice at 6 months he has been waking up 3 times a bloody night as have the other newly weaned babies at my mum and baby group - aarrgh, life on just breastmilk was so much easier!!

lazydaisybaby Wed 30-Sep-09 08:32:51

My baby boy is nearly 15 wks and he has been on baby rice since 8 wks old. He is not disporportionally big, but he is hungry. I weaned my daughter at 17 wks, she is now 2yrs 7mths and very very healthy and active, and very slim!!!!

How can we say not to feed our "individual and unique" babies when they are starving hungry, when only a decade ago the government advice was to wean at 4 mths, and just 5 yrs before that (our generation this is) the advice from experts was to wean at 12 wks!!!!

Our babies are not text book, they are all different, and i think there is alot to be said for "mothers instinct", which is a powerful tool, and its only doubted when you go on websites that tell you are doing harm to your baby by doing what you feel is best.

My 15 wk old is a happy content baby, still needs a feed in the night (so you can see i am not feeding him rice to make him sleep through) whereas before his little amount of rice he was a crying miserable baby.

Basically, i would say follow your instincts and do what is best for YOUR baby, not everyone elses!!!!

x

tiktok Wed 30-Sep-09 15:26:42

Why on earth bump an old thread with a post like this, unless one was attention-seeking, especially twice?

lazydaisybaby Wed 30-Sep-09 15:56:26

I didnt realise what "bumping" was, or what putting a post on did, and it was certainly not attention-seeking, i set out just to offer my side of what i do. I find all of you ladies bullies, and you have made me feel very disheartened and upset today.

I have learnt to never go against the trend today, and feel very saddened by this whole ordeal.

tiktok Wed 30-Sep-09 16:12:45

No one has bullied you, daisy....mumsnet debates and discussions can be robust, but if you genuinely feel bullied then you have the option to report any individual post.

You must have deliberately searched way down the list to find this thread, which began more than three years ago, or else you searched archives in order to comment and to resurrect the thread, and you did this twice with two threads, one dying and one dead.

This is unusual behaviour, and the usual explanation for something like this is trolling (deliberately being provocative and making up scenarios in order to do so) or, as I said, attention seeking. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in assuming you were not making this story up, and went with attention seeking

So if I'm wrong, what is the explanation of your posts?

lazydaisybaby Wed 30-Sep-09 18:16:36

The simple explanation is i "googled" early weaning to learn more and to see others experiences / opinions, and it the top 2 search results were those posts, i never even knew the date they were posted, its only now and i see they were years ago!

tiktok Wed 30-Sep-09 19:01:44

Ah, I see, thanks for the explanation of how it happened.

I still don't understand why you would come on to a thread and not engage with the debate and just tell people to do what their instincts told them to do!
But sorry for saying you were attention-seeking.

kilo Thu 29-Oct-09 21:00:36

I also googled early weaning and found this thread, just read straight through all the posts and didn't even notice the dates! It's really helpful to read people's experiences/opinions when making your own decision about things, esp as a first-time mum. But some of us only come on here occasionally and don't know/understand all the etiquette involved...just because a thread is old doesn't mean it's not relevant, or that it's 'attention-seeking' to add to it. Thank goodness for mumsnet keeping all the old stuff on for us newbies to look at, i say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now