6 7oz hungry baby bottles a day

(13 Posts)
TheNightIsDark Fri 10-Jan-14 22:45:49

DS is 4.5 months. He's on 6 7-8oz bottles of hungry baby milk a day. Drains them completely. He's slept through from 8 weeks and still is now so as I'm getting pressure to wean from ILs etc I thought I'd ask for advice.

DS1 and DD I weaned around this age. I thought that as the jars and recipes were from 4 months that's when you had to do it (naive young parent). I have some baby rice and I've puréed up a load of pear and apple which is in the freezer.

He can hold his head up for a long enough time, is starting to show an interest in what people are eating etc.

Wwyd? Continute with the hungry baby milk or try rice?

lilyaldrin Fri 10-Jan-14 22:47:55

If he's happy with the milk he's having then why do you want to wean?

Mrswellyboot Fri 10-Jan-14 22:48:19

My lad isn't four months yet and taking 9oz bottles but I think I am going to wait until five months and hopefully more. He can't sit upright unaided yet so think that's a sign he isn't ready.

Will see if people can advise.

Santabroughtmethis Fri 10-Jan-14 22:51:30

There's less calories in baby rice and jars than there is in the milk so you'd be better off giving him more milk, there's probably more nutrients in it too.

TheNightIsDark Fri 10-Jan-14 22:51:59

Because he's still rooting for more milk when the bottle is drained. I'll leave him a bit longer. I just wanted to see what the general consensus was.

He seems happy enough.

TheNightIsDark Fri 10-Jan-14 22:53:18

Ah ok. I'll make up some smaller bottles for in between to top up with. By 11:30 yesterday he'd had 24oz of milk confused

He's not overweight or anything. Just likes his milk!

lilyaldrin Fri 10-Jan-14 23:01:26

Hungry baby is harder to digest, isn't it? Maybe try him on normal milk but up the amount - he might need the extra calories.

TheNightIsDark Fri 10-Jan-14 23:03:38

Ok I'll switch him back smile

I'd forgotten how confusing this baby malarkey was really!

notso Fri 10-Jan-14 23:06:19

Just keep giving more milk.

The three signs that a baby is ready to wean are,
Ability to stay in a sitting position, and hold head steady.

Ability to co-ordinate eyes, hands and mouth to see food pick it up and gum it to death grin

Ability to swallow food, not pushing it back out with their tongue and ending up with more on their face than in their mouth.

TheNightIsDark Fri 10-Jan-14 23:13:30

Thanks notso. Is it sitting unaided or with support?

He's not ready going by that. I'm relieved as he's my last and i want to keep him a baby for as long as possible!

When he is ready what time of the day is best for food? Is it lunchtime? It's only been 3 years since DD was weaning. How could I have forgotten so much?!

jane1995 Fri 10-Jan-14 23:49:31

if he drains his bottles then you should be putting an extra oz in, maybe hes just not getting enough from one7oz bottle

justalilmummy Sat 11-Jan-14 00:06:28

My ds used to drink 8 9oz every 24 hours at that age
He used to show an interest in food at this age ie watching us eat/ grab for food, but when I tried him at 4 month's with a bit of baby rice he wouldnt eat it!
I would try maybe add another oz to hes bottles and see if that helps first before trying weaning

notso Sat 11-Jan-14 00:12:02

I would say able to sit up in an upright highchair without flopping forward, side wards or doing the odd face plant! Mine weren't all sitting fully unsupported at weaning age.

I would start with whatever meal you have the most time and he is happiest at. I started by just giving them something suitable from my plate to gnaw on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now