New to weaning and confused on timings and quantities!

(2 Posts)
AlmondFrangipani Sun 05-Jan-14 17:18:53

My LO is 23 weeks and I started weaning him just before Christmas. He seems to be taking to it well and can polish off 10/15 teaspoons of purée and baby rice a couple times a day.

I just need some help in establishing some sort of routine. He's bottle fed and has had bad reflux meaning I've had to has demand feed him. He seems to be getting over the reflux now meaning he's gone from have 3oz feeds every 2 hours to 7oz feeds every 3.5 hours but I've struggled for this to be consistent. Likewise he's always been a cat napper!

I don't know what time of day to introduce the meals? How much solids should be having? When do I reduce feeds?

Thanks!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-Jan-14 19:18:45

No need to reduce feeds yet Almond. The current advice is to give the solids roughly an hour after their milk feed, so if he's having a bottle at 7am, try him with a little breakfast at 8am. Another bottle at 10.30 and lunch at 11.30 am

As for the quantities of food a portion should be roughly the size of their palm. Don't worry if he doesn't eat it all, the idea is just to get them used to different tastes and textures, most of his nutritious should be coming from his milk.

I wouldn't bother introducing another meal yet, once a day is fine at this age so don't get too stressed if you only manage that. The nhs guidelines recommend only moving to 3 meals once they are between 8 and 9 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now