Why won't he eat?

(12 Posts)
Flambards Thu 26-Dec-13 20:44:34

DS is 6 months old. Has been shouting the flipping house down every time he sees food for a month now. Will eat baby rice and mashed rusk but nothing else? What's wrong with him? I ve tried carrot, banana, apple, sweet potato, potato, pear and mango, nothing. He just spits,it out and keeps yelling. I could deal with this except he's so obviously interested in food and wants to eat. At his age his older sister was ripping food out of our hands so I'm a bit baffled. How can I move him in? Ive tried a nuby net thing but that's no better.

FlossieTreadlight Thu 26-Dec-13 21:00:46

Have a look into finger foods? Things he can hold and mush about? I know it's easy to say but try not get stressed xx

FlossieTreadlight Thu 26-Dec-13 21:01:29

Sorry, also sometimes you have to repeatedly offer things (even though it's really irritating)

Mammabear31 Thu 26-Dec-13 21:02:33

Bear with him OP, this was my DS a month ago and now he eats everything we give him! One day it will just click and he will get it. It's stressful I know (and wasteful) but persevere, you will get there flowers

cafebistro Thu 26-Dec-13 21:03:59

He's only 6 months old. Food is for fun before 12 months so don't stress about the amount he's eating as long as he has milk. My DD wasn't interested in food until she was about 9 months.

Flambards Thu 26-Dec-13 22:30:31

Thanks flossie, cafe bistro and mama bear.its reassuring its not just me.o just wish he'd either eat or shush up. We are all miserable with his shoutiness and mealtimes are horrible. I was so hopeful that starting solids would help and now it hasn't I'm quite crushed. hmmHe seems just as disappointed - maybe hd thought eating was going to be amazing and it's actually just carrot hmmhmm

EssentialCoffee Thu 26-Dec-13 22:41:20

My friends DS was like this and really wasn't interested in food properly until 9 months old. I think the main thing is to appear chilled out about the whole thing and make meal times fun and exciting. Much much easier said than done though especially when it's someone else's baby!

All I can suggest is to offer a wide variety of things and if he doesn't like it the first, second or third time, he might the fourth.

Flambards Fri 27-Dec-13 08:46:08

Mealtimes are a desperate misery though! There is no volume control in this child! Dd sits picking miserably through whatever's on her plate, I haven't eaten anything other than bread in days. Christmas dinner, a full roast, went straight into the bin. He will neither eat nor shut the hell up and everyone is suffering. I don't care if he eats or not, but this 'gotta have it, can't do anything with it, shriek shriek' is horrible. He won't accept a dummy, a teether, a toy, being in another room. If he can see or smell food he's screaming. He's still up 4-5 times for milk in the night, could not being hungry / being too huungry be part of it?

JingleJohnsJulie Fri 27-Dec-13 08:51:58

Rusks and baby rice are both overly sweet, I'd stop offering both and just try him with a bit of finger food. Like other have said, it's no issue if he isn't eating yet fsmile

Flambards Fri 27-Dec-13 12:39:02

I could cut out the rusk but giving fingerfoods just makes him choke on them so basically I'd be stopping trying to give him food in that case. He's off to nursery soon (hurray!!!) so I was hoping to have moved him on a bit before then. Is it safe to just give formula and breast milk after 6 months? I thought they needs to start foods then? Aargh!

Flisspaps Fri 27-Dec-13 12:50:46

Is he choking or gagging? Gagging is noisy, scary but normal. Choking is usually silent.

Flambards Fri 27-Dec-13 13:17:11

Sort of both really. He'll gag a lot and then sick up his milk if he's given anything like banana, avocado or....well actually any of the soft finger foods. Twice I've had to put him over my knee and tap his back, but I may have overreacted to bad gagging iykwim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now