Bottle Fed/Weaning INSATIABLE!

(33 Posts)
Shanx19 Thu 26-Dec-13 13:22:46

Apologies if this is not the correct place!

Hello everyone

My little boy will be 19 weeks on sunday and weighs around 18lb.

He has an insatiable appetite! At the moment he eats (around these times)

8am 7oz
12pm 7oz
4pm 7oz
8pm 7oz

and then wakes in the night between 3am and 4am for another 7oz.

He absolutely drains his 7oz bottles.

Our doctor told us to introduce a bit of baby rice or porridge to his diet once a day which we have been doing at his 4pm feed. He has 4 spoonfuls of porridge made up with milk from his bottle which he also easily devours.
He tried carrot yesterday and wolfed all that too.

The problem is, he is now struggling to go 4 hours between bottles. I can just about get him to 3.5 hours but by the time he eats he's really upset.
He has never slept through and has only recently started sleeping from 2130 to around 0400. More often than not he will wake between then too.

I dont know what to do. Do i give him 7oz every 3.5 hrs and hope he sleeps longer so he don't need a 6th bottle? Do i give him 42oz milk a day?
Do i introduce another solid feed? He is on Aptamil 1.

He also only sleeps about 11 hours in any 24 hour period.

All advice very welcome!!

CuriosityCola Sun 05-Jan-14 11:58:49

Just wanted to give you an anecdote. My ds guzzled like this after having his tongue tie 'fixed'. Could your ds be trying to catch up? Mine jumped from barely on the centile graph to just over 50th.

I demand feed and waited until just over 6 months to wean. He is still a contented chunky monkey (in all ways except waiting for a feed) despite most solids ending up on the floor.

Hamnvik Sat 28-Dec-13 11:25:00

Is he on medication for reflux? Or has anyone suggested cows milk protein intolerance? My DS used to drink 8 7oz bottles at that age until he was put on ranitidine and it dropped right down, I think he was comfort eating to sooth his reflux.

LittleBearPad Sat 28-Dec-13 11:23:35

Ignore your mother in law.

Let him have milk when he wants and he'll be fine.

Chunderella Sat 28-Dec-13 11:15:35

But why do you want him to drop a bottle? I mean, he's hungry, and he's of the age where he can only have milk. So he has more milk. Nothing else to be done, is there? I know you've had problems before, but there's a big difference between 9 and 19 weeks and some babies do react much better to one formula than the other. It just happens.

And yes you're correct to ignore MILs suggestion. Its really dangerous to piss about with the powder to water ratios! Good for you, for knowing not to pay any attention to that one.

Shanx19 Sat 28-Dec-13 09:13:33

Thank you.

Seems the entire family think I should wean him fully but I dont want to yet!

Yesterday he had 8oz (easily) at

I know I shouldn't get too fixated on numbers but should I be feeding him 8oz at 0130? How do you encourage them to drop a bottle?
My mother in law suggested making an 8oz bottle with only 3 scoops of formula but that doesn't sound safe to me!
I can't kid him by stopping the bottle earlier-he knows. He waoits for thast last mouthful thgasts half air.
I've tried offering smaller bottles in the past. If it does work, he wakes again after say an hour.

Tbh, I don't mind nightfeeds but the volume of milk worries me a little bit. Only because when he was around 9 weeks he was already having 35oz and really struggling with all the lactose.
We changed his milk from Sma to aptamil which helped and tbh hes been fine since. It was just awful seeing him in so much pain and wouldnt want it to happen again.

Gerty1002 Sat 28-Dec-13 08:09:44

Shanx He's always had lots of poos and explosive ones at that, so this milk just reduced the number to 1-2 a day instead of 4-5! If you're worried stick with first milk for now, but you can always give cooled boiled water if LO gets a little constipated.

Chunderella Fri 27-Dec-13 19:35:30

OP what you're saying about DSs habits doesn't sound that unusual. He's 4.5 months, right? They often have a growth spurt around then. 11 hours isn't abnormally low either. When DD was about that age, I often found she would sleep less during her hungry phases, then catch up at the times she wasn't eating as much. She was ff too, and had a couple of days where she went above 50oz- it happens when they're growth spurting, its normal.

I definitely think it would be a good idea to try him on 8oz bottles and maybe have another go at feeding him on demand too. Honestly its not as hard as it sounds. Remember that baby rice and stuff like that isn't as calorific as formula. You want to be giving him the high calorie stuff, he obviously needs it!

Shanx19 Fri 27-Dec-13 19:33:51

Wowzas! I feel a bit better now smile

Does he poo ok?

Gerty1002 Fri 27-Dec-13 09:38:10

I should also add that this is hungry baby milk...

Gerty1002 Fri 27-Dec-13 09:36:51

Yes, though he was going 12 hours at night recently so it was more like 50, but after a few weeks in hospital where the nurses fed him whenever he stirred (I used to just give him the dummy and he'd go back to sleep) and being on medication that has a risk of making his blood sugar low that has gone out of the window and he now has a dream feed at 10 and one other night feed. He doesn't always take the full 10oz I have to say, sometimes just wants a little snack.

Bakerof3pudsxx Fri 27-Dec-13 09:00:11

Bloody hell 70oz a day!

Gerty1002 Fri 27-Dec-13 08:41:48

My DS is 15 weeks and has 10oz every three hours, 7 times a day. Granted, he's been 98th centile since birth, but I've still been advised to hold off on weaning until as close to 6 months as possible.

Feed however much they want... four hours is not a short amount of time between feeds imo and 7oz is definitely not too much.

Splatt34 Fri 27-Dec-13 08:06:07

With DD1 she was on 6 bottles a day at this sort of age and skipping up the centiles. I wanted to wait to do baby led weaning so HV advised we try hungry baby formula. within a day she was down to 5 bottles. Same number of calories per ounce but different proportions of proteins keep them fuller for longer

Bakerof3pudsxx Thu 26-Dec-13 17:28:34

If your lo is satisfied by 7oz every 4 hours then that is fine

If not then either make the time apart less or up the amount in each feed

Shanx19 Thu 26-Dec-13 15:03:36

At birth (37+6) -8lb and just below 75 centile

On December 17th (17wks 2 days) -17lb and just below 91st centile

FalalalalalalaFiggy Thu 26-Dec-13 14:36:17

What is his weight gain like? Centile was he born on what is he now?

My DS never went more than three hours between feeds by the end he was back up to 2 1/2 hour feeds at which point we just had to start weaning as he was so full of milk he practically sloshed.

I never used it because it would bung him up but have u looked at hungry baby milk?

Do u want to wean now? We started at around this age and he's 2 now and still eating for England (99th centile height and weight)

ethlinn Thu 26-Dec-13 14:20:48

And one more thing OP. Don't let anyone talk you into doing something that just doesn't feel right. I remember all these comments: at THIS age he shouldn't be eating that often blah blah blah. And raised eyebrows. People can be sooo annoying, patronising and judgemental. Baby should eat whenever he needs it. And it is nobody's business. Hope it all gets better soon.

Shanx19 Thu 26-Dec-13 14:13:40

Thanks ethlinn

ethlinn Thu 26-Dec-13 14:06:35

My DS has never, and I mean NEVER gone 4 hours between feeds. He is 11mo now and even now, if you include snacks and water, it's never been 4 hours. Before weaning, when he was 5 mo, I remember being frown upon quite a lot as I was feeding him every 2 - 2.5 hours. 6 or 7oz bottles. He is not overweight. Not even overly chubby. Just really tall for his age (no wonder, judging by the size of me and OH). OP, I would just feed whenever your baby asks for it. If you're really longing for a routine, let it be baby led. I'm sure that everything will fall into place soon. Good luck!

coffeeistheanswer Thu 26-Dec-13 14:05:09

It may well be a growth spurt - a breastfed baby at that age could easily be feeding every two hours. Could you not offer him feeds more frequently? As long as you're not encouraging him to drink more than he wants I don't see a problem in offering him more

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 26-Dec-13 13:57:16

Do YOU need a routine?

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 26-Dec-13 13:55:20

He won't take 8oz every 2 hours. Well he might for a couple of days whilst he catches up with his growth spurt needs but then it will probably vary throughout the day according to hunger/thirst/activity levels/tiredness/comfort needs etc.

Shanx19 Thu 26-Dec-13 13:51:01

7oz every 4 hours is ok Bakerof3pudsxx ??

So should i try keep feeds a certain amount of time apart or just offer 8oz whenever he seems hungry? Everyone else seems to be able to write their routines down and i just feel up in the air like i don't know what i'm doing sad

Especially if i'm meant to ignore the doctor too!

What if he takes 8oz every 2 hours?

Artandco Thu 26-Dec-13 13:47:41

4 hours is a long time. As a maternity nanny the longest I leave in the day is 3 hrs. My current 12 week old twins are fed 5oz every 2 hrs in the day. 8am-8pm, a dreamfeed of 6oz at 11pm, then nothing until morning. So:

8am -5oz
10am -5oz
12pm-5oz
2pm-5oz
4pm-5oz
6pm-5oz
8pm-5oz
11pm-6oz

So they have 10oz every 4 hours compared to 7oz . 41oz a day. I would think within a few weeks this will be upped

My own children bf on demand all day

Bakerof3pudsxx Thu 26-Dec-13 13:39:07

My dd never went 4 hours between feeds

Just before we started weaning she was taking 8-9oz every 3 hours

She still now has 3x8oz plus 3 meals a day and she is 8.5 months

She also had hungry milk

7 every four hours is not ridiculous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now