Any ideas for items with decent amount of fat, but dairy/soya/egg/peanu t free?

(19 Posts)
gretagrape Thu 09-Jan-14 07:40:55

Well, we tried mackeral and it turned out to be the first food he has refused!! Still, the main thing is there was no obvious reaction, so I'll keep persevering with that, and give the salmon roe a try as well.

The turkey stock is going down well - I add a few ice cubes of it to dishes to add a bit of 'gravy'.

I'm going to make various pates to use on his rice cakes and toast instead of just relying on banana all the time - so far he's had butter bean and carrot pate with lots of olive oil, and I'm going to try to make some sort of savoury avocado pate (maybe butter beans or cannellini beans as they are mild) and see if that works.

drawohamme Wed 08-Jan-14 22:17:03

Marking my place

gretagrape Mon 30-Dec-13 14:10:21

Thanks - I'll check out the bagels and muffins and I'll see if I can find that thread. That rice pudding recipe sounds delish as well so I'll have a go at that.

Thanks

Some of the New York bagels are surprisingly allergy friendly. We like the cinnamon ones. And they are fab for breakfasts. Also many of the Aldi range of bakery products like English Muffins and crumpets are free from most allergens you mention

A while back there was a fantastic thread run by couthymow which had a variety of uses for Oat milk (which is what we use) including a fab fish pie which used the oatly cream rather than milk. I also make a mean oat custard and coconut and raspberry rice pudding (using a bake method and coconut oil) its so nice even DH eats it.

I have found over the past three years that there isn't much I can't replicate except cheese and chocolate. I always ask party hosts what they are serving and make a baby welly version so she isn't left out.

gretagrape Sun 29-Dec-13 17:27:20

I'll check out the pea protein yoghurts as well - even if they aren't fatty it will be nice to give him more variety in the breakfast/snack area.
Thanks
x

gretagrape Sun 29-Dec-13 17:25:50

Yeah, I noticed that the jusroll pastry is vegan yesterday when I made a turkey (surprise!) pie - I'd assumed it had dairy in it and didn't check the ingredients otherwise I'd have made the sauce dairy free and our son could have had some. At least I know for next time.

Hummous is a bit of a no-go at the moment as we can't add tahini (recommended that we don't try him on any seeds until retesting at 12 months) and it's that that ups the fat content. Chickpeas on their own will at least add to protein intake but not the fat intake.

He had turkey curry with tons of coconut in which he loved so that's on the menu now, and I made turkey stock yesterday and reckon I have about 3 litres to keep him going for soups/sauces for a while!

I weaned dd1 as a dairy/soya free BF baby now at 3 she is still intolerant. She took a lot lot longer to move to meals. We used lentils a lot for protein as well, but inadequate fats has always been a wory of mine. She now refuses avocado and coconut oils but does like meat so has plenty and I make her own fishfingers which she loves.

I use Pure and Tex to make pastry and there is a puff pastry which is JusRoll and is vegan - very tasty - from which I make quite a few meals. I also teied out pea protein yoghurts for a while but can't remember the fat content.

cupcake78 Mon 23-Dec-13 22:17:01

I'm watching with interest. Just started weaning dd who has a dairy/soya free diet.

gretagrape Mon 23-Dec-13 12:02:33

Thanks all! We haven't tried fish yet - waiting until after Christmas when the hospitals are fully staffed just in case! (I know, very cynical, but he got very grumpy every time I had fish when I was bf'ing). Hope that fish is ok, because that will definitely be a good way to go.

Hadn't thought about olives, but I could add them into lots of sauces.

Organ meat - do you mean stuff like liver/kidneys? He's had chicken liver which made me gag when I cooked it, but he loved it! He has lamb, beef, chicken and turkey (leg and thigh meat for extra fat and iron) as well.

Bone broth - I guess that's just like making a stock then but serving it as a soup in it's own right? Well I collected a turkey the size of my kitchen this morning so I can make plenty of broth from those bones!

Coconut - good idea - I usually add that to curries for us, so I'll start adding it into his food as well.

Chickpeas - had some for the first time last night, just mashed into a veggie sauce, with pasta, and no reaction so far so hopefully they will be ok over the next two days to make sure.

Dietician has been pretty poor so far but I will give her another go and see what hilarious suggestions she comes up with!

Thanks again all
x

addictedtosugar Sun 22-Dec-13 20:41:56

Oh, and olives

Womnaleplus Sun 22-Dec-13 20:40:23

Last time from me - also consider salmon roe. Full of amazing nutrition and pretty good fun to boot.

TheGreatHunt Sun 22-Dec-13 20:40:10

Is he allergic to nuts?

You can mix olive oil into dishes to boost the fat intake.

Womnaleplus Sun 22-Dec-13 20:37:08

Oh, and you might try making some bone broths for him?

Womnaleplus Sun 22-Dec-13 20:36:25

If you're feeling brave, I give my ten month old this a couple of times a week:
www.funkyraw.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=460

Is he having meat yet? How about some tasty organ meat? grin

<gets coat>

addictedtosugar Sun 22-Dec-13 20:33:11

I immediately thought avocados!
You'd have to check the labels, but other thoughts: tuna, tinned sardines. Do chickpeas ie hummus cause a reaction?
Chicken drumsticks/thighs with skin on?
We did some cooking with Oat Milk.
I think you should ask for a dietician appointment for proper ideas.

geekaMaxima Sun 22-Dec-13 20:26:01

A block of creamed coconut (this stuff). Almost as many calories as butter and very flavoursome smile

It's lovely mixed through mashed banana or even grated on toast with fruit, but it can also be chopped into lots of other savoury foods where it melts kinda instantly. Toss carrots in it with a tiny bit of cumin (not spicy), use it in chicken stew, etc. It's also good cooked with sticky rice as a savoury dish, which can be loaded on a spoon like mashed potato.

JingleJohnsJulie Sun 22-Dec-13 19:45:19

Gosh that a toughie greta. How about oily fish?

gretagrape Sun 22-Dec-13 14:25:24

Hi. I'm already bored with buying avocados each week and my son is only 9mo! Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I could give? When he was first diagnosed with dairy allergy I thought "oh well, I'll make lots of nut butters and put seeds in sauces" but he can't have those either, and I'm stuck for ideas really!
Thanks
x
PS I know that milk is the main source of nutrition until he is 1, and he can continue on Neocate afterwards, but to be honest I'd prefer to boost his fat intake naturally where possible instead of relying only on formula.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now