Anything I shouldn't give baby for baby led weaning at 5 1/2 months?

(10 Posts)
lem31 Sat 16-Nov-13 22:48:44

Baby gone off puréed foods so going to attempt the blw. Anything to avoid? Not planning on giving him crisps and chocolate, but it feels wierd to give him anything at all really.

Also, how did people cope if eating meals together as a family is tricky with work schedules? Did you and partners eat separately, baby eat on own or feed baby later in evening??

Any advice very helpful.

Splatt34 Sun 17-Nov-13 09:02:59

Have just started BLW DD2 age 5 1/2 months too. Did it with DD1. I'M too lazy to puree!!

So far she has tried cheese on toast (well she stole mine and started sucking it to tell me she was ready!), carrot, broccoli, cucumber, melon grapes(left skin on so easy to handle melon& she devoured it), cheese, toast, dough balls, potatoe, pittance bread soaked in chilli & banana. Sweet potatoe wedges today I think and parsnips.

Is baby sitting up well. that is the main thing, they need to be upright. If the cough don't panic. Their gag reflex is much further forward on the tongue than ours (for safety) & they have to learn how to handle the food.

nothing too small to pick up themselves ie no raisins or nuts yet. I avoid hard fruit like apples until later. Normal advise re salt. My DD1 was always quite happy to eat even if we weren't eating with her or I'd have a piece of fruit or some other snack with her.

Splatt34 Sun 17-Nov-13 09:04:42

^^ NOT GRAPES!!! Not sure his that got in there, bloody phone. Left skin on melon so wasn't too slippy for her to hold!"

lem31 Sun 17-Nov-13 09:17:04

Wow, so literally anything. Very scared off this. Thank you so much.
He is sitting up (although a bit wobbly) but needs to be weaned for his weight and for whatever reason the purée method has suddenly become unacceptable to him.
Thanks. X

Splatt34 Sun 17-Nov-13 09:42:55

Don't expect BLW to make a massive difference to his weight in the beginning. It's all about exploring food and tastes they don't necessarily swallow anything. Alot gets dropped or spat back out. DD2 definitely swallowed some melon yesterday and gummed up toast this morning. The philosophy is food is for fun until they are one. You need yo be relaxed about actual intake. If you are desperate to get calories in it might not be the best approach.

lem31 Sun 17-Nov-13 11:17:20

Yeah, that's why we went with purees, but as he has for some reason stopped taking those I figure I will try blw just to keep some solids going and maybe he will start taking food gain soon.
He seems to be taking more milk again now this last few days so hoping that will continue until he is ready to eat solids again.
X

CornishYarg Sun 17-Nov-13 20:14:13

With the mealtimes, I'm a SAHM so could eat with DS all the time. But DH gets in from work just before DS goes to bed. So in the week, I have breakfast and lunch with DS and two evening meals. The other three evening meals, I eat with DH so he has some company and I just sit with DS while he eats. We all eat together at the weekend.

you arent supposed to give gluten before 6 months - so toast, pasta, etc should wait a couple of weeks

lem31 Sun 17-Nov-13 23:17:50

That's a good compromise cornish yard, thanks for sharing.
And thanks ilovepowerhoop. It seems crazy to go from nothing to anything so it makes me feel better to transition a little at least by avoiding some foods. X

KatAndKit Wed 20-Nov-13 08:35:39

I eat lunch with Ds but not tea as i don't fancy having my dinner at 5pm. At the weekend we all eat together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now