Baby got face rash after having porridge

(6 Posts)
IndigoTea Fri 15-Nov-13 17:48:11

Hi,

I've just given my DS porridge (has skimmed milk in it), and three times after having it he has broken out with a face rash that moves around and been really cranky after it. Could this be CMPA (cow milk protein allergy)?

Background is he has silent reflux which he is on medication for, and before he went on medication I went completely dairy free but it didn't make a difference (she is exclusively breastfed)

IndigoTea Fri 15-Nov-13 17:48:52

That is skimmed milk powder btw, and DS is 6 months.

ExBrightonBell Fri 15-Nov-13 21:25:06

My ds also had a face rash after eating a couple of different things when I first started weaning. I took him to the GP as I was concerned about allergies (I have a food allergy). It was just contact dermatitis rather than a true food allergy. He prescribed some steroid cream (less strong than the usual over the counter stuff), which I only used a couple of times when it was really bad. It cleared up on its own eventually and he doesn't generally get any rash at all now. Occasionally he will get a very short lived rash from tomatoes, but it goes on its own within a couple of hours after being cleaned up.

Maybe worth a trip to the GP to check? I have no experience of CMPI/A though, but from my limited understanding I would have thought there might be more symptoms?

gretagrape Sat 16-Nov-13 07:12:19

My son has had exactly the same reaction to porridge this week - but made with water as he has CMPA.

I'm looking into the possibility of it being a gluten issue at the moment.....at this rate he'll just be eating fruit and veg for the rest of his life, poor thing!

Has he had other sources of gluten and been ok on them?

IndigoTea Sun 17-Nov-13 18:06:49

Thanks everyone!

Greta, he has had rusks and seems fine with that. Is there a test for CMPA?

gretagrape Mon 18-Nov-13 16:12:12

Hi - well, we had skin prick tests done but they aren't the most reliable way to do it because our son has a delayed onset allergy rather than an immediate contact allergy, so the test came up negative.

The best way to ascertain CMPA is by historical records - diary of food/drink and then bowel movements, temperament, skin, etc etc. If you recognise a pattern of worsening symptoms when dairy is ingested then you should get a referral from GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now