Weaning guidelines

(7 Posts)
Warwickmum Fri 15-Nov-13 11:57:30

I know that the guidelines to start weaning have been 6 months for ages but someone said that the guidelines have been changed in the last few weeks to start weaning at 4 months. I have spent ages trying to find a documented change but can't find anything. Does anyone know if this change has happened, or if it is just a hv interpretation of the 6 month guidelines?

nextphase Fri 15-Nov-13 12:11:56

It changed to between 4 and 6 months a while ago, but I still like the banana test - give child a piece of banana (pealed), and if they can get it to their mouth, and strat trying to eat it, they are ready for weaning

Warwickmum Fri 15-Nov-13 12:22:32

Thanks next phase. I am guessing this could be an interpretation then as 'they' said the advice is now to wean at 4 months, not wait until 6!

mrsmartin1984 Fri 15-Nov-13 16:23:19

The food packets still say 4 months because the government won't push them to put 6 months on because that is a whole 2 months worth of buying food they don't need that could make babies sick that they would lose out on

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Fri 15-Nov-13 16:26:44

I looked into this recently after someone said it on a thread on here. No, there has been no change in UK weaning advice. For years it was 4-6 months. Now it is six months.

There is a study into allergies which is testing they hypothesis that early weaning may help reduce allergies. I looked and it isn't due to even report its findings for a couple of years. At which point those findings will need to balanced with other issues - like gut problems or whatever- before considering whether to change guidelines.

Warwickmum Fri 15-Nov-13 19:57:55

Yes MrsMartin, be assured, I do get all the marketing hype about weaning at 4 months. My children all started weaning just after 6 months so it had no affect on me! I guess I'm just more concerned that the current guidelines (if they haven't been altered in the last few weeks as seems the case from the post below yours) may be being misinterpreted interpreted as 'weaning should be started at 4 months' by health professionals and passed on to new mums, many of whom I can imagine would not question the advice, as obviously it has come from a health visitor or similar who must surely know what the correct advice is!sad

Chunderella Sun 17-Nov-13 21:33:54

The 4 month thing is because of EU law. There are countries in the EU where official advice is that weaning from 4 months is safe. This means that commercially prepared baby foods obviously can be advertised for that age upwards in those countries. Generally if you can advertise something as suitable for one particular group in one EU country, you can do so in all the others. Unfortunately this probably is part of the reason why many people think 4 months is official advice in the UK, but it would be a total waste of time for the government to try and introduce any kind of legislation or even pressure- they would lose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now