Oh dear - I forgot. What HAVE I done?!!!

(8 Posts)
laughingeyes2013 Wed 13-Nov-13 20:40:27

After many a sleepless night with one or two hourly feeds overnight I decided to wean my 5 1/2 month old baby.

I bought some Aptamil organic baby rice and followed the instructions to mix 1 teaspoon of rice with 10 teaspoons of milk.

Baby love it and hungrily took teaspoon after teaspoon. Suddenly I remembered that you're supposed to only give a couple of teaspoons on the first sessions. What have I done to the poor little mite?!

He took a breastfeed off me straight after and fell asleep doing so. This is the first time he's ever fallen asleep at the breast since being born!

However, I am concerned that he might have terrible stomachache or constipation or that I may have somehow caused some terrible damage to him by giving him to match the first time.

Has anyone else ever made this mistake? Obviously tomorrow and the next week or two I will only give a couple of teaspoons and increase those gradually. But I just hope that he won't suffer because of my stupid forgetfulness. Trouble is once its gone in, you can't take it out! I'm kicking myself because I remembered with the last spoonful. Oh the joy of sleep deprivation!

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 13-Nov-13 20:46:02

I'm sure he will be fine. My dd1 would have had a cow at 2 teaspoons grin

Bunnychan Wed 13-Nov-13 20:46:16

Unless you were force feeding it, I wouldn't worry. They'd have turned away and cried or found some way to show you they'd have enough. My LO sometimes wants a feed right after eating. Could be thirst, reassurance or simply that they're still hungry.

wheretoyougonow Wed 13-Nov-13 20:48:39

My son cried because I stopped feeding him on the first try! I made some more.
Your baby will be fine, don't worry.

laughingeyes2013 Wed 13-Nov-13 20:49:06

Oh thank goodness!

He didn't turn away, quite the opposite. He yelled at me when I put the spoon down!

He loved every little bit of it at the time and like I said, for the first time ever, he fell asleep on me during a feed.

It was actually really nice to put a heavily sleepy baby to bed for a change. Just hope I don't pay for it with a sore boy overnight!

happydaze77 Wed 13-Nov-13 21:42:58

If you're worried then you could feed him just milk for a couple of days, to make sure.

laughingeyes2013 Thu 14-Nov-13 18:43:15

Thought idea be an update 24 hours later - baby slept for longer periods - 3.5hrs initially as opposed to 2 hrs. By the end of the night we were pretty close to 2 hourly again.

He showed no signs of discomfort at all whatsoever, but today had the biggest faecal explosion I've ever witnessed! So I've decided to have today as a rest day and restart tomorrow with more sensible portions.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 14-Nov-13 18:48:56

That sounds like a very good plan smile

See, no broken baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now