Does blw limit diet?

(9 Posts)
SummerSevern Mon 11-Nov-13 15:23:01

Apologies if this has been done to death but:

DD is 16wks so still too early, but I've been reading up and starting to get ready for weaning. I think I've made my mind up on blw, but there are a couple of things that I don't understand.

If you do blw, does that mean that your baby can't try small things like peas, sweetcorn etc until they are older? I assume these things are too small and fiddly, and a potential choking hazard? Or am I over thinking this?

Similarly, what do you do about things like soup, yoghurts and other liquidy foodstuffs?

Just trying to find out as much as I can ahead of time so that I can be prepared. I feel like I've only just got the hang of milk feeding, and now there's a whole other thing to get in a faff over!

TIA

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 11-Nov-13 15:31:08

No it doesn't limit diet. Given most of it os playing and feeling and seeing the food rather than eating it. smile they all get there eventually, whether they have to wait an extra month or two for peas is irrelevant smile

scissy Mon 11-Nov-13 21:08:28

I haven't found it limits diet.
Soup I do by putting chunks of bread in the soup (baguettes work well for this), she worked out how to suck the soup off the bread and dunk it back in the soup to soak up more.
Yoghurts are the one thing I spoonfeed, however if you have a high tolerance for scraping yoghurt off the walls/ceiling you can use pre-loaded spoons and let her pick them up smile (at least, my DD would fling it there as she is particularly excited about yoghurt, hence me holding the spoon!)

ExBrightonBell Mon 11-Nov-13 21:26:51

I don't think it limits diet at all - in fact I've found the opposite. Things like peas are no problem, apart from being hard to pick up! If it worries you then you can squash em a bit, and mix them in with other things.

One of the great delights of BLW in fact was watching my ds try and try to pick up peas, and being so excited when he finally could!

As others have said, runny things can work with chunks of bread in, and yoghurt can be self-fed with hands if you can bear the mess. My ds was also happy to take a loaded spoon for things like yoghurt, porridge etc.

mrsmartin1984 Mon 11-Nov-13 21:50:55

No it doesn't limit their diet. It broadens it. Things like sweetcorn and raisins they would choke on at first, but they cannot put it in their mouth to do so. But once they develop the pincer grip in order to pick up the small pieces of food then they are able to move them around their mouth in order to prevent them choking. It's a natural process to wean

Smartiepants79 Mon 11-Nov-13 21:54:23

I've found a mix of blw and spoon feeding to be very successful. She has sloppy things from a spoon and then feeds herself everything else. Haven't found anything she won't eat yet.

SummerSevern Tue 12-Nov-13 09:02:52

Ok, thanks for answering that for me. thanks

FredFredGeorge Sun 17-Nov-13 15:56:47

A babies throat is plenty large enough to swallow peas and sweetcorn, it's not the choking in the throat but getting things into the airways "going down the wrong way" that's is the big choking hazard with small pieces of food and these are only of particular concern with small hard things.

Choking with things in the throat would be much larger things - in fact the sort of sized things you're often encouraged to give - a chunky chip for example, or the hunk of bread. However that sort of choking is easier to deal with too.

DD also didn't need a pincer grip to eat peas or sweetcorn, she could just scoop them in from 6mo.

hettienne Sun 17-Nov-13 15:59:39

You can always mix things like peas and sweetcorn with sticky rice or mashed potato that they can grab handfuls of, or serve them in veggie burgers/fingers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now