How much water to add when weaning?

(10 Posts)
ZaZazebra Tue 12-Nov-13 22:39:41

My dd is 8 months now so I've been feeding her for a couple of months now and I'd say she's only just getting the hang of the sippy cup even though I've been offering it from the start.

She did get quite consipated a few weeks ago so I kept trying to give her more water in a cup but it was difficult so in the end I resorted to giving her prunes as finger food and then orange juice administered via syringe....

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 10-Nov-13 23:07:35

smile

forgetmenots Sun 10-Nov-13 22:51:11

Thanks jilted (and weeblueberry for letting me hijack your thread) blush flowers

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sun 10-Nov-13 21:54:49

Agree. When you first start weaning and for quite a bit after, they should still be having all of their milk feeds so dehydration shouldn't be a worry.

I'd start off with solids and water being offered just once a day and yes, it's just usually a sippy cup with some tap tap water in with meals smile

forgetmenots Sun 10-Nov-13 14:06:13

thanks thisismenow, appreciate it!

ThisIsMeNow Sun 10-Nov-13 13:41:39

I just put 'some' water in a cup and let her get on with it.
Some means whatever comes out of the tap. I don't measure it. Lots ends up on the floor, tray, baby etc.
I would say though that water was the thing dd coughed on more than food. Guess she wasn't used to free flowing fluids grin but be warned as that took me by surprise.

forgetmenots Sun 10-Nov-13 13:37:47

sorry to jump on this, but does it matter if LO doesn't take the water? About to start first tastes and finding very little info on actual amounts (not that I want to get hung up on it, I just want to know how often/much to offer I suppose). DS seems to get dehydrated quite quickly (lots of wet nappies!) so I'd be watching the water...

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 03-Nov-13 13:39:43

Yes tap water from a sippy cup with meals is fine smile

ZaZazebra Sat 02-Nov-13 21:48:47

Just try offering her a drink if water out if a snippy cup or doidy cup at meal times. Eventually she will learn how to do it. (I just use tap water btw).

weeblueberry Sat 02-Nov-13 21:43:04

DD has been having a first tastes week this week and is getting along fine having some puree at lunchtime. Should I be giving her cooled boiled water at this stage if she's still having her 5 bottles a day? If so, how much? The books all say to add water into the menu but don't specify how much they should have?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now