How much formula at 6-7 months

(9 Posts)
Mumof3xx Mon 28-Oct-13 08:41:01

My dd is almost 7 months

She has 3 meals a day and roughly 26-30 oz of formula

How much to babies of similar ages take?

She is still waking for a night feed, if I increase solids might she sleep through?

Cannotbelieveit Mon 28-Oct-13 10:00:24

Hi

Hunter has 3 meals a day plus a snack mid afternoon and he has 9oz first thing after he gets up and 9oz before bed. He sleeps 7.30-8pm til 8-9am

He dropped the lunchtime bottle after a week of weaning and last week dropped his mid afternoon bottle which was only 4oz anyway

a minimum of 20oz is recommended between 6 months and 1 year. DS was 8 months old when he dropped his night feed (I gently encouraged him by progressively reducing the amount in the bottle - dropped it by an ounce every week or so from the age of 6 months). He still had 4 daytime milk feeds up until 9 months.

Mumof3xx Mon 28-Oct-13 10:18:10

So hunter has 18 in 24 hours?

So far dd has had 2am 6oz, 6 am 7 0z, 9.30 5 oz

So 18 already lol

Cannotbelieveit Mon 28-Oct-13 14:33:58

Yes 18oz in 24 hours. The recommendation is that babies still have 500-600ml of milk in 24 hours which is 17-20oz

How big are the meals you are giving? Before weaning Hunter was having 32oz in 24 hours

Mumof3xx Mon 28-Oct-13 14:59:44

She has tommee tippee bowls which an average meal is half full, followed by a yogurt or cow and gate pudding
Tea I usually give slightly less to ensure she drinks her bedtime bottle
Before weaning she was taking about the same amount of milk 5 lots of 7oz so 35

Cannotbelieveit Mon 28-Oct-13 16:25:38

I guess talk to your HV? Hunter just naturally dropped his bottles as he got a bigger appetite for his actual food.

at 6/7 months ds would have still been having 5 milk feeds (1 in the night). He dropped to 4 daytime feeds at 8 months when the night feed stopped. He wasnt down to 2 feeds until about 11 months. The minimum recommended is around 20oz per day up to the age of 1 year but its okay if they have more than that while weaning is being established.

Chunderella Mon 28-Oct-13 21:27:33

Most of them go through a phase where they're having solids but haven't dropped a milk feed yet. It took DD a while to have 3 meals a day, she was about 10 months, but was still having about the same amount of milk as yours is now. Normally they reduce the milk consumption by themselves after a couple of months- you do need to make sure your DD is having at least 500ml a day until her first birthday though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now