Think I'm getting this all wrong?!

(8 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Wed 23-Oct-13 22:31:15

Thanks all really put my mind at rest and given me some good ideas to try smile

ExBrightonBell Wed 23-Oct-13 21:16:03

I'm a vegetarian and my ds (15 months) is also. (I did BLW with him). I gave him things like cheese (little batons would be good finger food - emmental type cheese works well), hummus (a real fave), and I add red lentils to many things that I cook (curry, soup, stews). He's not mad keen on eggs, but will have scrambled egg - which if cooked well is also good finger food.

Omelette cut up into strips, with a variety of added extras such as cheese, mushroom, veg. Spanish omelette also works well as finger food. Also avocado contains protein, and most babies seem to like it. I sometimes mash it and put it on toast.

Butter beans can be mashed into a hummus-like paste. Lentils and rice served together are a complete protein - lentil Dahl with rice for example.

If you've only been doing finger foods for a month then she will still be exploring and playing. Just keep offering every meal, and don't worry what she does with it. Think of it as a long process of learning, rather than an individual meal. It can take a while for babies to connect the food they are playing with to hunger, but she will get there. smile

bearsmum123 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:09:32

Oh and try this recipe for alternative protein http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/lovely-lentils

bearsmum123 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:06:02

My ds used to pull meat out of hes mouth and throw it out, I despaired thought he'd never get it, then one day he just stopped, just swallowed it with everything else.
I'm sure if your relaxed about it fiddling around phases will pass naturally.

I'm no nutritionist but if its of any reassurance my ds had such horrible reflux he actually didn't even start to keep solids down until 8 months, and because he puked all of the food plus any milk that he'd managed to keep down previous, I would only try him again once every couple of days and he was still thriving in terms of weight and physical development on just milk.
I think its true what they say 'under 1 its just for fun' when you think of baby led weaners they ingest such a small amount of their food for ages.

notanyanymore Wed 23-Oct-13 19:47:38

don't worry, my answers just as long!

notanyanymore Wed 23-Oct-13 19:47:22

i think your worrying waaay to much to be honest. my youngest is 8mo, she only really has dinner at the moment, i tend to give her what my other 2 have so tonight it was pasta (she had baby star pasta as big pasta's too tricky to cut up!) with leeks, muchrooms, peas broccoli, bacon (which she didn't eat), phildelphia stir through sauce and some cheese on top. she did quite well. she then had half a banana to feed to herself/play with.
she did have lunch today which was bread and butter, tomatoes, cucumber and a fromage frais for pudding. most of the finger food just got squished but she wolfed up pudding!
my actual point tho, is that as far as i'm concerned bm is still her main supply of nutrients, the rest of it is still really just introducing her to food and letting her join in with everyone else!

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 23-Oct-13 19:41:56

Wow that's stupidly long apologies

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 23-Oct-13 19:41:34

Dd is nearly 9 months have been trying to do a mix of puréed/mashed food and fingers food getting myself in a real mess I think.
With the purées/mash she's been mainly veg she will eat any purée quite happily.
Finger foods she is basically playing with it not eating it pasta, toast, veg and fruits the only finger she will eat is broccoli trees.
The main worry for me is that she's not getting enough protein- Im a veggie and don't know how to make meaty meals?! Or meat for finger foods so only meat she's had has been Ella's kitchen pouches or when we've mashed up shepherds pie/fish that partners had.

How do you give your babies meat?
By the way she's still having lots of breastmilk in the day but she's still got an appetite at mealtimes. I'm so worried she's not getting enough variety, I blame myself as bless scared me with the choking aspect so I think if left the finger foods too late (started at 8 months)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now