Six month old - pooing at least ten times a day! Normal?

(7 Posts)
AdorabeezleWinterpop Mon 21-Oct-13 11:02:55

This is DC2, but DD was nothing like this.

Started DS on solids two weeks ago. He quickly built up to three meals a day and is still having plenty of milk (mainly BF but some formula if I haven't expressed). He's eating fruit and veg, some porridge, eggs and toast. He eats quite a lot (he's around 21/22lb and 98th centile for length and weight).

My problem is that he is filling his nappies really frequently - three times before 7am today! It's not like diarrhoea, although it's slightly soft.

He's perfectly content and not in any discomfort. He's waking with dirty nappies really frequently and I'm shattered!

Is this normal or something to be concerned about? I'm assuming it's just his digestive system adjusting? As I said, he's not my first child but I didn't have this with DD, if anything she was slightly constipated when weaning.

beckslovestimmy Mon 21-Oct-13 19:46:51

3 meals a day at 6 months seems like a lot, especially only 2 weeks into weaning. (DD only got to 3 meals a day at about 8 months). Maybe its all too much too quickly for his system? Are you offering solids an hour after milk? Maybe reduce the solids and see if it makes a difference? smile

AdorabeezleWinterpop Mon 21-Oct-13 22:58:50

He is still having at least 5 BF a day. I was wondering about the three meals a day but I'm following the same rough routine as I did with DD, which I got from a weaning book. He's just so hungry, despite having both sides when BF or 7/8oz bottles! Sometimes it's a real struggle getting him to wait 1hr between milk and solids.

At the moment our routine is like this (ish)
7am - milk
8am - breakfast
10.30 - milk
11.30 - lunch
2pm - milk
4pm - dinner
7pm - milk
10pm - milk
And often at least one feed in the night (usually more). If he misses a milk feed or doesn't take much then I offer milk at the next feed, not solids.

I work in the afternoons so I really need a rough routine for the GPs when they look after him.

Andcake Sat 26-Oct-13 13:16:28

Ds was like this in the first few weeks of weaning. So I dialled back to one meal a day then built it up to 3 slowly. I think it's their guts getting used to food ( shows for all those silly people weaning before 6 mo) that he gut s a delicate organ. By 8 mo he was back on 3 meals a day. It took about 3 days of one meal and more milk to stop flow of constant poo

BotBotticelli Thu 31-Oct-13 19:54:30

those silly people weaning before 6mo....er, I weaned my DS at 5mo and his guts were fine!!

OP, might just be his body adjusting. He sounds like a big hungry boy! Is he having loads and loads of fruit? That might be making him go a lot, and for it to be quite soft (like it would be if we ate loads of fruit!). Bananas are quite good for binding it all up, and are filling and healthy too....does he eat them? Would he maybe like feeding himself some lumps of pasta or something like that?

DziezkoDisco Thu 31-Oct-13 20:12:53

Andcake. Weaned all of mine at 5 months and they never had any probs

ThePequod Fri 01-Nov-13 12:47:56

I found that in the first few weeks of weaning (I only started with 1 meal a day) DD pooed far more frequently as well! It all settled down within a month - as previous posters have said, it must be the gut getting used to digesting all those lovely new foods. If you have any concerns, remember you can always slow down for a bit (2 meals instead of 3, perhaps?) and see if that makes a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now