I don't get it.

(36 Posts)
fairy1303 Thu 17-Oct-13 20:46:29

DS is only 17 weeks so my freak out is premature BUT he is interested in food, always hungry despite having 7oz bottles every 3 hours (none overnight) so I'm not sure he will make it to 6 months (or is that not even a thing? see? clueless.)

HV did a talk the other day about purees if starting before 6 months, after 6 months anything you want but blended. so then when do they have it NOT blended? and do you literally just blend up a whole meal?? like Roast soup?!

And THEN I've been reading about BLW and that just throws a spanner in the whole thing anyway...

Please can someone very slowly and clearly explain it to me as if I were a small child.

I'm terrified and clueless.

scissy Thu 17-Oct-13 21:28:20

fairy it's fairly common for them to gag, but extremely rare for them to choke. Gagging is noisy and normal, choking is silent. Tbh if you go the traditional route, you'll still find them gagging once they start having lumps. My friend who did traditional weaning actually found gagging worse than I did because she wasn't expecting it. Of course, if you give your baby whole nuts or whole cherry tomatoes they are more likely to choke, but that's why it's advised not to give whole nuts to under 5s and to cut cherry tomatoes and grapes in half until some ridiculous age (5?7?)

As for nursery I'd ask them. Round here BLW is fairly common, so the nurseries are used to it and will feed your DC that way if it's what they're used to.

ReluctantCamper Thu 17-Oct-13 21:31:42

I read quite a few books, but the one I found most useful was 'Stress Free Weaning'. I got it from the library, and it's really worth a read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stress-free-Weaning-Teach-Yourself-General/dp/1444103059

I started around 5 months with purees, but from 6 months-ish gave DS things like pieces of avocado to gum a bit as well. I couldn't deal with exclusive BLW as I was obsessed with feeding DS up and didn't believe he'd get enough food if I wasn't spooning it in. I expect either way works out fine in the end though.

good luck!

If you want to introduce spoonfed rice/purees a couple of tips from my day (both DD 7 and DS 5 were before blw came into existence)

1) Pointless trying to spoon anything until they hve lost the push reflex (ie their tongue automatically pushes stuff away if anything put on mouth)
2) When you start try and keep some foods "pure" in flavour. Ie try brocolli puree on its own, carrot puree on its own. If you mix the or only do pureed spag bol etc then they will not get used to the (sometimes odd if you think about it) flavours that are around.
3) If you have frozen a load of stuff and a few weeks later you want to use it but are on a "lumpier" stage then a handful of rice crispies are a great way to add texture to something you have already blitzed to perfect smoothness.

Mine are now brilliant eaters and pretty much always have been.

mrsmartin1984 Fri 18-Oct-13 10:39:23

Babies are just as likely to choke on purreed food as on solids. The thing to do to make it safer is ensure that they are sat upright and that they feed themselves (that what they know what the food feels like before they eat it). Never feed my child or mushed up her food

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/05/foodanddrink

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 18-Oct-13 15:23:12

We weaned dc1 early at it was awful, took ages to feed him a little bit of puréed veg or fruit and ages to prepare. Bottles every 3 hours is normal and not at all excessive at this age and taking an interest in food is normal too. It would be more of a worry if Lo wasn't interested in what you were doing.

I'd wean when your baby displays the signs of readiness. If that's before 26 weeks you should only give them fruit and veg, but they should be able to pick it up and feed themselves. If its after 26 weeks you can give them virtually anything. The few things to avoid are listed here.

Agree that baby's are just as likely to choke on purees as finger foods too. There's also a huge difference between gagging and choking. If you are worried, see if there are any baby first aid courses in your area.

And yes, if you wait till 6 months, you really can give them a roast dinner, no need to mash or purée. Have a search on youtube for "baby led weaning 6 months chicken" smile

lem31 Fri 18-Oct-13 19:32:16

So glad you posted this. We've just started weaning and I feel the same. All very useful!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 19-Oct-13 11:27:31

lem did you search for the youtube video? Sorry I can't do the link. smile

Chunderella Sat 19-Oct-13 14:11:52

The 'food is for fun before one' maxim is debatable to say the least. Something to bear in mind, and I say that as someone with a DD who took to weaning at a glacial pace.

OP 6 months is the recommendation. The most current research shows that the system isn't ready until between 17 and 26 weeks and it's risky to offer solids before that. Hence 26 weeks catches everyone, whereas at say 23 weeks there's a X percent risk that the child being given solids will be one of those who isn't yet ready. There are certainly many people who have been weaned earlier than that, often with no identifiable ill effects, but that doesn't negate current research.

You don't necessarily have to blend stuff, no- many people do, many don't. Some babies refuse anything that isn't pureed. Others, like my DD, are the opposite and just don't like puree stuff at all. Most aren't so fussy, and I believe a significant minority will hoover up anything they're offered! As regards how they actually get the food, again it depends on the individual baby. Some are really keen to feed themselves, in which case blw may be a good option and indeed might be your only choice! Others, again like my DD, show no real interest in doing that for a long time, so you'll end up feeding them. There isn't a correlation between when a child is ready for solids and when they're able to feed themselves, but for some babies they happen around the same time. If your DS is really interested in food, I wouldn't be surprised if his first solids ends up being something he nicks off your plate.

Artandco Sat 19-Oct-13 14:30:57

In the meantime, if baby seems extra hungry whilst they have a growth spurt just increase milk from every 3 hours to every 2- 2.1/2

Chunderella Sat 19-Oct-13 15:04:42

And thinking about it, if OPs baby is just about 4 months, he's probably growth spurting. It can be a tough time OP and a lot of people do mistake it for needing solids.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 19-Oct-13 20:54:52

And there is usually a sleep regression around 4 months which some people interpret as hunger, it isn't and as others have said, if you think your baby is hungry just offer feeds more frequently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now