Stock for baby food, where to find no salt variety?

(16 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:07:18

Of course we could make it, which we have been doing, but honestly we are already drowning under the weight of cooking, laundry, general household faff at the moment and just wondering if there is any way of saving that little bit of time.

A baby food book I have suggests using 'no salt' stock but I can only find low salt.

Boots sell an organic baby stock cube but again it says 'controlled' salt rather than no salt.

Any tips?!?

stargirl1701 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:08:47

I used the Boots ones.

tyaca Wed 16-Oct-13 21:10:27

just use water.

plannedshock Wed 16-Oct-13 21:10:44

Another user of the boots organic stock

Pancakeflipper Wed 16-Oct-13 21:10:54

I am sure I used Kallo stock cubes which were low salt.

Artandco Wed 16-Oct-13 21:15:09

Kallo do low salt and very low salt options. They actually say suitable from 4 months on the back of package. Sell in Waitrose and I'm assuming most other supermarkets

elfycat Wed 16-Oct-13 21:15:21

Heinz do a stock cube for infants but again it's probably low in salt. Found it in Asda.

Some of them went out of date as I tended to use the water from potatoes or rice which has a bit of substance or the vegetable water from the bottom of the steamer (or saucepan if you prefer boiling). The only salts will traces from the vegetables.

bigkidsdidit Wed 16-Oct-13 21:17:47

Heinz do one I got in sainsburys, but you may as well use water. Without salt it was almost tasteless

stella69x Wed 16-Oct-13 21:21:53

You can make your own stock in a slow cooker. Put leftover chicken carcass + veg in over night so no need to monitor like on the hob, then strain at some point next day portion up and freeze for use when required.

I have s large slow cooker so I freeze leftover chicken bones til I have 3 or 4, chuck them in the slow cooker on a fri night with the nearly had it veg from the drawer, covet with water til 2cm from brim and put slow cooker on low. Switch off in morning and at some point during the day drain, portion and freeze. Lasts about a month.

Kallo very low salt.

noblegiraffe Thu 17-Oct-13 13:01:36

A little bit of salt is fine. Heinz baby stock cubes for example contain 0.05g of salt per 100ml of stock. The limit for babies is 1g of salt per day.

idlevice Thu 17-Oct-13 13:12:42

Another option is Marigold Bouillon which comes in Organic & non-organic reduced salt versions, from the supermarket or Holland & Barrett. It's in a pot so you can use as much or little as you need & not faff around with breaking up a stock cube.

BonaDea Thu 17-Oct-13 13:21:03

Sure boots do a baby one which presumably is low salt.

emeraldgirl1 Thu 17-Oct-13 14:02:29

Thanks everyone!
That's good info about the amount of salt per day... I thought you could literally do NO salt... Obv you wouldn't want to skate close to the maximum all the time but those Low salt options sound fine.

bigkidsdidit Thu 17-Oct-13 14:10:45

You do have to be careful. Most bought bread is 0.75g ish a slice! So a bit of toast and you haven't much left.

gretagrape Fri 18-Oct-13 15:51:47

There's a really easy stock recipe in my weaning book:

6 asparagus spears
1 large leek cut into chunks
1/2 sweet potato cut into chunks

Put 1L in a pot. Add the veg, bring to the boil, reduce to gentle simmer, cover and leave for 1 hour.

Strain and either put in fridge for 3 days or freezer for 3 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now