How much water should 6.5mo be drinking?

(7 Posts)
gretagrape Sat 12-Oct-13 08:09:32

Hi - 2 weeks into weaning and going well. Purees/mash so far and as he's taken to it happily I'm making the veg quite thick so it's hardly watered down at all.
He's quite happy to use his cup (not sure what it's called, beaker with handles and a lid with two holes in the spout!) but I think he's only really taking in a couple of drops each time.
Should he be 'drinking' a noticeable amount of water with his food or is it just enough that he's getting practice and will take more in as he needs it?
Thanks
x

he will take more as he needs it. It took months before mine took more than a few sips at a time. As long as he is till taking plenty of milk then he will be getting enough fluids.

beckslovestimmy Sat 12-Oct-13 22:49:05

DD is now 9 months and probably drinks one beaker full a day, so about 5-6oz. I offer it before, during and after solid meals (to help wash the food down). I offer it throughout the day but she only sips (a bit also spills down her front). I also give it to her when she is in the bath after I've brushed her teeth, she'll gulp it down then!

gretagrape Mon 14-Oct-13 07:00:06

Thanks both - I noticed he took a bit more when he had broccoli yesterday as it was quite dry, so he obviously takes it if he needs it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 14-Oct-13 09:16:10

At 6 months he should still be having the same milk feeds, so if he wasn't thirsty before 6 months, he shouldn't be now smile

The first 6 months of weaning are really just getting them used to cups, bowls etc and sitting with the family and eating.

gretagrape Mon 14-Oct-13 16:35:48

Yes, still on the same milk feeds. That's good then, I'll just let him carry on swinging the cup around and whacking himself with it and assume the odd drop of water will go in!
Thanks

MiaowTheCat Mon 14-Oct-13 19:33:43

DD1 we offered a cup of water to every meal but for a long time I think she regarded it as a nice cool teething toy to squeak her gums on and then gradually got the idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now