11 month old- fussy eater. At the end of my tether.

(28 Posts)
ScaryMartian Tue 08-Oct-13 17:50:27

My DS has never been an enthusiastic eater, we started out with purées but changed to finger foods at about 8 months as he was refusing to be spoon fed. I give him the same food as myself and my DH and we eat together however my DS has never really progressed to eating properly. He mostly throws things on the floor and nibbles at the things he is familiar with. This evening I watched him deliberately and systematically drop everything from his tray onto the floor without even trying it. He refuses to be fed if I offer it on a spoon also. He is not teething at the moment as far as I can tell. I have dropped his mid afternoon bottle in an attempt to make him hungry for solids to no avail. He currently has a bf at 4am, formula at 10am, bf at 7pm and formula feed at 11.30pm. I have a feeling that his night feeds are a result of him not eating in the day so am really reluctant to stop any over night feeds until I know he is getting some solids in the day.

Any advice will be gratefully received, he is one month off a year and therefore I can't keep wheeling out the old 'he gets his main nutrients from his milk, food is just for play' for much longer! HV have not been able to offer much advice so far.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 12-Oct-13 00:11:59

Not entirely sure you don't get children rocking up at school demanding purees. In the city I grew up in its common for children to arrive wearing nappies, 'cos nobody had been arsed to potty train them and to have never used a knife and fork.

If you try to look on the forest 6 - 12 months of weaning as an exercise in. Getting them to learn how to eat as part of a family and (hopefully) master spoons and cups and not worry too much about what they actually do eat, you can't go far wrong smile

ScaryMartian Sat 12-Oct-13 10:58:06

I'm not a purist BLWer as we started on purées and switched when DS seemed to prefer feeding himself. Now he prefers feeding the floor!

Like rooty's dd my son is also contrary! Last week I did make porridge for him to see what happened- he refused that too. I was therefore a little suprised that he took the spag bol from the spoon!
It's more the purée aspect (it was a first stage weaning pouch) rather than the spoon feeding part that bothered me as I want him to eat more solid food.

I've been feeling a lot more relaxed about it over the last couple of days and will try to take DS's lead by continuing to offer what we eat and not worry so much if he's not bothered- you're right- it doesn't need to be stressful!

Jilted- it makes me sad that some kids are still in nappies at school age. sad puts my concerns into perspective really.

Rooty- I hope your move went well and you are settled, hopefully your stuff will arrive soon!

48th Sun 13-Oct-13 14:52:44

I had a really fussy eater who at a year was still mainly milk fed other than the odd grape or bread stick. We just offered and let him get on with it. At some point he changed and is now a child you could wheel out to impress as he tucks into anything with relish. In fact my best eater at a year is now a fussy bugger...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now