im rubbish at this weaning lark. Need serious help & advice please.

(8 Posts)
jimijack Wed 09-Oct-13 11:21:47

No, full on spectacular vomiting! Tbh I just clean him up & carry on.

Food diary is a good idea, I bet he has more food than I realize.

Mashed banana & porridge this morning, had 5 good spoonfuls.
I'm half n half doing blw, I give him stuff then kinda shove a spoonful in!

He is defo interested when I eat, I give him some.

Going to do the diary for my own reassurance.
Thanks

mrsmartin1984 Tue 08-Oct-13 23:48:18

Have you thought about trying BLW?

ExBrightonBell Tue 08-Oct-13 20:20:34

Firstly don't despair or panic :-) He's eating some things which is great. Milk is still the main source of nutrition before 1 year old so he's still getting all he needs - food is in addition at the moment.

Are you bfeeding about 1 hr before giving food?
Do you sit and eat with him - watching you is a good motivator?

Keep giving finger foods, even if they are met with little interest. It can take a good while before they connect food with hunger. Before this they will just play with the food, but that is all still good learning.

Maybe keep a food diary for a week, and see what he eats over this time frame (if you haven't done so already). It may be more/more varied than you realise.

With the lumps and vomiting - is it definitely vomiting or is it gagging? If it's gagging, then that's normal and will get better over time.

jimijack Tue 08-Oct-13 18:40:29

Thanks scary, good to know I'm not alone.

jimijack Tue 08-Oct-13 18:39:41

He breast feeds every 2-3 hours (I know!)
I have started to extend this to giving him 5 feeds through the day. Still 2-3 hourly overnight though.

littlemissnormal Tue 08-Oct-13 18:11:34

How much milk are you giving him? I tried weaning DS while giving him the same amount of milk so he wasn't interested in solids as he simply wasn't hungry!

ScaryMartian Tue 08-Oct-13 18:09:45

I can't help sadly, I just posted a similar problem- my son is 11 months. Just wanted to say you're not alone- I understand how frustrating and demoralising it is especially as you say everyone else's babies seem to be scoffing loads!!

jimijack Tue 08-Oct-13 17:37:58

He is 9 months & eats, well, nothing really.

He has about 3 tiny t spoons of fromage frait yoghurt or baby porridge for breakfast.
I give him toast, bread & butter, crumpets & bread sticks as finger food. He has a little suck then chucks it overboard.

I give him orange segments, grapes, nectarines. Again he sucks them a bit.
He likes fruit puree but I mix savoury stuff with the fruit.

Any lumps, he vommits.

What am I doing wrong? Friends babies are eating loads more volume & variety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now