BLW-a few years on..

(18 Posts)
Cheeka Tue 01-Oct-13 21:19:05

For those who did BLW, say, 2 to 5 years ago. Was it a success? Who has a fussy eater who did BLW? Just wondering because I have a very fussy pretty much resistant eater and wonder if things could have gone differently if he was BLW.

noblegiraffe Tue 01-Oct-13 21:48:11

My BLW 4 year old is very fussy. He ate everything when he started weaning, now he won't touch any vegetables and barely any fruit.

I've even shown him photos of him eating broccoli etc as a baby and he just says that he doesn't like it any more.

DanielMcSpaniel Tue 01-Oct-13 21:55:32

Ds1 is a fussy bugger who was BLW. He ate everything til about 22 months when he started refusing foods. He's 3 now and eats very little fruit, meat or many vegetables.

I think they are what they are, no matter how they were weaned.

CornishYarg Wed 02-Oct-13 09:12:39

DS was BLW'd and has just turned 2. He is still a pretty good eater but I'm far from complacent that this will continue to be the case!

As Daniel says, I think they will be what they will be so don't worry about what might have been.

TheCrumpetQueen Wed 02-Oct-13 09:15:37

This is interesting, I keep reading how blw is meant to lead to less fussiness later on - obviously not in all cases!

I'm doing it at the moment as I worked in childcare and we always did it in the baby room. Ds eats everything at the moment.

What do you do when a child is fussy? Do you keep offering them stuff they don't like or just leave it for a few years til they hopefully outgrow it?

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 02-Oct-13 09:20:33

DD is 2.6yo and is very fussy. She eats only carbs, fruit, milk and cheese. She refuses meat and veg unless it's very mixed in, like stir fried rice. But we only did BLW because she refuses to be fed. But she's a very stubborn girl though. She used to eat everything and anything.

She goes to nursery full time and they say she eats everything. At home in the weekend, she eats the same as us for lunch. For tea, she eats herself and always get a cheese sandwich. Breakfast is always weetabix.

I'm not worry about her nutrition as she eats well in nursery and also she always eat her breakfast and tea.

UriGeller Wed 02-Oct-13 09:23:03

I didn't do BLW with ds3.

He's 2.5 and eats everything. Broccoli, peppers, kale, salads, soup, curry, everything!

Same as his two older brothers, one of which eats anything (and everything) and one who is extremely fussy. Kids are human so all different.

Supersesame Wed 02-Oct-13 09:26:43

My blwed DS is nearly 3 and I've noticed lately he dislikes more foods. He would have always eaten white fish but lately he has started spitting it out and I don't really know why.
He still eats quite a good diet though and has his favourites (pasta!) but I'd like to avoid losing any more foods from his diet.

DS is 3.5, was BLW and eats absolutely everything he can lay his hands on!

Crumpet, what I would say is never comment if they don't eat something and offer it again another day, again without comment. When DS was younger he didn't like any form of raw veg (salads with tomatoes and cucumber) but will now eat them quite happily. I think it's all about taking away the whole food as bargaining tool/power thing.

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 02-Oct-13 09:32:15

DS is 5, was BLW, and is pretty fussy. Strangely, he's okay if we all sit together and eat, much more likely to try things, tends to finish them too, but when eating on his own he would choose to go hungry rather than eat something he has taken a dislike to. He picks at herbs in pasta sauce hmm

I honestly don't think it makes a difference. Why would it?

I did the whole purée thing with dd1 and dd2 was more into finger foods and feeding herself although probably couldn't be classed as a BLW as mush was sometimes offered but she ate what she wanted if she wanted. U certainly didn't make up all the combo purée meals she just are what we ate if she could (dairy free so not every meal)

However they have both turned out exactly the sane. They have great times where they eat and try many things, and crap times where I throw away entire meals. It's just who they are.

CaptainUndercrackers Wed 02-Oct-13 09:37:02

I think that fussy eating in toddlers and older children is about control, attention and independence. I don't think it has anything to do with weaning method or whether the child actually likes or dislikes particular flavours. They reach an age where they want to assert themselves and food is one easy way to dothis. And it often yields results for kids in the form of increased attention, offers of other (favourite) foods, and general 'fuss'. I was an incredibly fussy eater as a child (i ate about 5 different foods and would make myself sick if pushed to eat something I didn't like) and i didn't start with the fussiness until I was 2or 3 years old. Don't see how weaning could have had anything to do with that.

Oh, I also think that peer pressure starts to exert an influence too - kids will suddenly like or dislike foods that they see their friends eating or rejecting.

PirateJelly Wed 02-Oct-13 09:44:10

It's funny I was discussing this with some friends the other day. DS (4) was BLW and has the most unusual appetite for a young child. For instance if I was to put down fish fingers, chips and broccoli. He will always gobble up the broccoli first, literally shoving it in as fast as he can go! Then maybe eat 3 quarters of his fish fingers and never touch his chips. Same with his packed lunch, I always put a pot containing olives, carrot sticks, cucumber and broccoli in and that's his favorite part, always eaten where as cake and crisps come home untouched. He also seems to self regulate what he needs so some weeks he'll eat alot of meat and then another week barely touch it. Same for carbs and other food groups.

Other people have commented on how well he eats and tue fact that given the choice he will always choose the healthy option. I put it down to the fact he was BLW but reading this thread I'm less sure. DS is a very big boy and quite muscly for his age so it clearly suits him smile

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 02-Oct-13 09:46:09

My DD is definitely about control and independence. She's also fussy with clothes too. She has to pick her own clothes, and only likes ones with animals on them.

tumbletumble Wed 02-Oct-13 09:51:59

I did ordinary weaning (mushers etc) with DS1 and DD and a BLW type approach with DS2. Now they are 4, 6 and 7. DS1 is an excellent eater, DD is the fussiest and DS2 is in between. I think it just depends on the child!

ToddleWaddle Wed 02-Oct-13 10:13:54

Dd1 2.7 was BLW.
Constantly get comments about what a great eater she is.
She has her fussy moments but will generally try anything. She will not however touch yoghurt,sauces or dips. Just about eating cheese again.

She adores chocolate and cake however but not ice cream or deserts.

I also think she self regulates and has preferences just like we do. We do try to eat as a family,not have crap in the house and ignore any fussiness etc.

MiaowTheCat Wed 02-Oct-13 12:53:38

Traditionally weaned DD1 - eats fantastically, not picky or faddy (her one real objection, which I swear she gets from her father, is cherry tomatoes)... I don't chalk it down to any method of parenting I jumped into - it's just how she is. She'd have been the same if I'd weaned her standing on my head balancing broccoli between my toes while doing a cha cha with my hands.

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Wed 02-Oct-13 13:00:57

Mine were blw and are definitely not poster children.... Dd now eats more, and is happy to try (one bite) new things, and some of her favourite foods are quite unexpected, like Stilton, olives etc. ds drives me crazy - like a pp, he eats bread, cheese, yoghurt and fruit. And some cereals. I can get him to eat sausages and fish fingers sometimes but he won't try anything....

I too thought blw was supposed to avoid fussiness - has worked brilliantly with a friend's children who eat well, healthily and loads, but not my two! Mind you, it's in the paternal genes.... I think they'll be ok in the end though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now