Which vitamins fr babies?

(9 Posts)
Willow33 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:51:10

DD is 12 months and was given sytron (iron ) syrup and Dalivit by drs as she was prem. However the dr said they will no prescribe it as she is on solids (and has been since 6 months). I have now run out of what they gave me (was a big bottle). I would like to continue giving he a vit supplement though and was thinking of giving her sonething different to Dalivit cos of her age.I would now have to buy it myself. Any ideas? Anyone found their LO prefers a certain brand? (

Willow33 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:52:11

Will no longer prescribe it...

ExBrightonBell Fri 20-Sep-13 22:11:36

I've always given the WellKid vitamins for babies 6 months plus. Had no problems with them as my ds seems to love the taste. He's usually very keen to have it!

I'm quite happy that ds is getting a varied diet so the vitamins are really a just in case thing.

sharond101 Fri 20-Sep-13 22:19:47
glorious Sat 21-Sep-13 09:09:15

You should be able to get nhs healthy start drops for free or very cheaply. They are a, c and d but no iron. You could also give spatone or similar in juice if you want iron.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 21-Sep-13 09:11:35

The NHS Healthy Start Baby Drops are great - you only need to give 5 drops a day, they taste of banana, and DS loves them smile They only have vitamins A, C and D, but these are really the only crucial ones if your child is on solids and eating a reasonable diet. £1.80 for a 2-month supply, usually sold where baby clinics are held (worth calling in advance as sometimes out of stock though).

The WellKid ones are more comprehensive and have a bit of iron in them but they upset DS's stomach and made him sick (the only time he's ever been sick in his life!) so they didn't work for us. The iron is only about 11% of their daily needs though so I decided it wasn't worth the upset. But worth a try to see if your child likes them.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 21-Sep-13 11:31:55

cross post glorious grin

Willow33 Sat 21-Sep-13 19:28:21

Thanks so much. Where can I buy the NHS ones? I can't get to children's centres.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 21-Sep-13 20:36:44

Probably easiest to ask your Health Visitor (or call their department if you're like me and never see yours!) Don't you go to a clinic every month or so to get your baby weighed? Places like that usually stock them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now