Baby hates mealtimes, food, everything

(16 Posts)
AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 18-Sep-13 13:45:41

Desperately hoping someone can help! My DS is almost 7 months and we have been weaning (or trying to) for about 4 weeks now. I thought he would be up for it as he's a big greedy beast who always watched us eat in fascination and mouthed everything in sight, was sitting up and reaching/grabbing well. We tried mashes/purees initially but he didn't like the spoon, so I thought we would switch to finger foods/BLW. We've offered all sorts - nice fruit and veg, buttered toast, meat, bits of our meals, etc.

I don't expect him to eat much, or anything, but he won't even sit in the high chair and look at the food without starting to protest immediately and eventually scream. We've tried eating with him, separately, offering food as a picnic on the floor, sitting him on our laps so he can grab our food if he wants, but it always goes very quickly to screaming. He won't sit in his high chair while we eat either. He sounds so upset I feel terrible sad

Ack. What do I do? Keep offering him stuff or have a break? Any tips for getting him to at least calm down around food? He is breastfed and his weight is ok though has dropped off his line a bit.

Thanks in advance!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 18-Sep-13 15:22:01

Everything sounds normal with his weight. I would however give yourselves both a break and stop offering him any food.

When you eat, try to make sure he's awake and not too tired or hungry and either stick him on your lap or with some toys on the floor. In a couple of weeks, try again with offering him something.

Not having solids at this age isn't an issue as his nutrition should be from his milk.

Could he be teething too?

AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 18-Sep-13 15:28:18

Thanks JiltedJohnsJulie smile that's really helpful. So you think a couple of weeks for a break, rather than a few days? I'm not missing some kind of window or something?

Yes teething is a definite possibility (though he's had all the signs for weeks and weeks but no tooth to show for it!)

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 18-Sep-13 16:02:53

Ok if he's teething try a dose of ibruprofen. Its much better with dental pain than paracetamol. Have you got a teething gel, like Dentinox too? Some people swear by teething necklaces, but I've never tried one. You could also try him with a cold, clean wet flannel to chew on and if you fancy trying him with some solids, offer a frozen banana or some chunks of cool cucumber.

And yes, I would go for a week minimum. Sounds like you both need a break and he may change his mind before then. There's no window either. I didn't try avocados until I was in my twenties and I life them, definitely didn't miss my window grin

AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 18-Sep-13 19:42:46

Thanks again JJJ. The cold flannel has gone down a treat! if only he would chew food that enthusiastically Will pick up some ibuprofen.

Glad to hear the window thing is a myth. I just had visions of him still being ebf when he leaves home...

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 18-Sep-13 20:29:52

Glad he got to chew on something...smile

Was he around when you ate this evening? How did it go?

mrsmartin1984 Wed 18-Sep-13 21:09:39

Have you tried feeding him breastmilk/formula before he has dinner?

AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 18-Sep-13 21:40:15

MrsMartin - that's a good point. He still breastfeeds on demand very randomly so it's been a bit hit and miss around meals, but thinking back he is especially grumpy if he has not had a feed before the meal. I'll try offering food after milk feeds more consistently when we start again.

JJJ - no he was in bed when we had our dinner but I've got a friend coming for lunch tomorrow, so will place him in a strategic vantage point and see what happens smile

Zara1984 Wed 18-Sep-13 21:44:00

Sounds quite normal

Make sure he's well rested before mealtimes. Give him a milk feed first and ibuprofen too if teeth are sore. Nurofen suppositories work much faster than liquid BTW.

Offer food but don't stress if he rejects. Offer a variety of things eg some purees, some finger food. Keep it light and try to stay smiling. If he doesn't eat it, no bother. As long as you keep offering the food he'll get there.

GrottyPotPlant Fri 20-Sep-13 08:19:26

I've noticed that my son (who is at the early stages of BLW) gets very hungry for milk quite quickly when he is eating with us, even if he has had milk recently. He really enjoys his solid foods, but they seem to get his gastric juices going!
I've been giving him his milk once he starts getting cross and then (unless he has fed himself to sleep...) going for another round of finger foods (so I can finish my dinner, apart from anything), which seems to work OK. He is asking for the milk less now, and seems to be swallowing quite a lot of the foods!

Icklemariposa01 Fri 20-Sep-13 12:52:11

ATRN!!!....... i am going through the exactly same thing. Just read your post to my mum and she said that could be DD.

We are getting stressed as I have 6 weeks to go till I get back to work and we have been trying for a month now. And we are also trying to get DD to drink from a bottle too.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Fri 20-Sep-13 13:46:58

Thanks very much for input Zara and GrottyPotPlant , much appreciated. Icklemariposa , glad to know it's not just me smile

I have progress to report! We had a couple of days break, during which time I bought and read the Gill Rapley BLW book and it really changed my expectations. I decided to give it a go straight after a milk feed as per advice here, and he actually sat in his highchair, played with, and even actually ate some baby sweetcorn and (crinkle cut) cheese! And was happy with it!

I know this might be a one off but am so happy. Plus I am more relaxed as I know he can do it when he wants, so if he doesn't, no big deal. Thanks again everyone - not for the first time, I suspect my baby reads Mumsnet grin

GrottyPotPlant Fri 20-Sep-13 16:57:26

Yay! Glad to hear there is progress!
ickle the going back to work part really ramps up the stress, doesn't it!!! Fingers crossed things get easier- I'd say try to relax about it and it will all be OK, but that is easier said than done, by a long chalk...

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 20-Sep-13 18:27:59

Don't worry too much about going back to work, although I know that is much easier to say than do!

Your Lo won't starve and if you are bfing, you can still do a big feed in the morning, one on puck up and a bedtime feed.

Both of mine were bottle refusers and dd especially has always been a poor eater at home, but would happily eat 3 servings at nursery. I found that the worry of going back to work was much worse than actually doing it smile

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 21-Sep-13 13:39:17

Continued success last night and today lunchtime with twirly pasta, crinkle cut sweet potato, buttered toast and chicken. As long as we leave him to get on with it he's happy. I am a BLW convert and am a bit embarrassed to have been so sneery about it before blush

Another thing though - he was 4 weeks early (which I often forget now as he's more or less like a term baby in size and milestones) so maybe he just wasn't ready before? He's only 6 months in corrected age next week. Also I have stopped bothering with bibs as he hates having things put on him, so this often created a battle from the outset. Who knows.

Icklemariposa how are things going for you? DS is a bottle refuser too, I sympathise. We've had some success with a sippy cup (held by me), maybe worth a try? I don't have to go back to work just yet, but am supposed to be presenting at a conference in a couple of weeks - no idea how that's going to work hmm

mrsmartin1984 Sat 21-Sep-13 17:54:50

Remember that babies don't assosciate food which staving off hunger. That's what milk is for and will be for a while. Food is just fun. And babies will get most of their nutrients from milk. So it doesn't matter how much they eat. I think it good not to get hung up on how much they eat. As long as the quality is right. Some meals are better then others as some foods are harder to eat and will seem weird at first and take a while for them to come acustomed to them (about ten times).

Make sure they are not too tried or hungry. And don't get too stressed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now