No shops, first food for baby....

(7 Posts)
Tweet2tweet Tue 17-Sep-13 09:53:22

We are in the depths of the highlands on holiday with a 5 month old baby who seems to be starving! We have no baby rice or formula and BF doesn't seem enough.

Would very finely mashed carrot and/or banana mixed with cooled booed water be an okay starting food? Shops are over an hour away in car so this is only suitable options we have.

absentmindeddooooodles Tue 17-Sep-13 10:00:34

I started ds on mashed carrot at aeound 3 1/2 months ( milk allergy etc etc) he was fine. Loved it. Banana will be fine too . < awaits wise weaning experts coming along to tell me its really not ok>

docsarah Tue 17-Sep-13 10:02:55

Yes, they would be fine but carrots and most veg are not calorific and will not go a long way to assuaging hunger. Can you fit in an extra milk feed? Milk is much more calorie dense than veg, with the possible exception of avocado.

Tweet2tweet Tue 17-Sep-13 13:10:34

Thanks for responses! I'm Bfeeding every 2 hrs all day and night, sometimes even 1.5 hrs! Has been like this for 3 weeks so don't think it's a growth spurt. Will go with the veg and then more calories when home!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 17-Sep-13 13:38:57

Bfing every 2 hours at this stage doesn't mean your baby is hungry and could just be a developmental leap, in which case, formula or solids aren't going to help...

Agree with the others, if you think your baby is hungry he needs more calories from BM, the carrots will have far fewer calories smile

Are you offering both sides at least once during each feed and have you tried breast compressions? I don't think there is anything wrong though at all. How is the nappy count? Is he bright and alert at times?

Tweet2tweet Tue 17-Sep-13 19:28:31

Bright and alert and has wet nappies. Lots of smiles and energy and not a lot of crying, just no sleep for mummy and daddy! I offer both sides at every feed. Not sure if through the night is for comfort/getting back to sleep. Seems it's hard to not fall into BF to sleep really.

Didn't eat the carrot but had spoonful of banana and spoonful of apple, actually wolfed down the apple. Not giving too much at this stage though.

Thanks again for advice.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 18-Sep-13 07:47:04

Nothing you have said suggests that your baby us hungry and needs more than you can provide Tweet, in fact your Lo sounds like they are thriving! smile

Feeding this regularly is just normal baby behaviour for lots of babies and not a sign of readiness for solids.

If you do want to keep offering them that's fine of course, in my experience weaning made sleep worse though, so you might want to wait on that count alone smile

There are some good articles on starting solids here and here. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now