Manufactured Baby Food - not a surprise

(55 Posts)
FrauMoose Tue 10-Sep-13 07:15:51
HavantGuard Wed 11-Sep-13 12:50:38

Particularly as this stuff is aimed at small babies from 4 months. Filling them up with expensive thickened water is robbing them of the calories and nutrition the need to grow.

LittleBearPad Fri 13-Sep-13 17:07:21

I take your point Havant Guard but guidelines are to wait until 6 months another way the baby food industry is massively cynical. But babies get most of their nuitrition from milk until they are one or at least close to it. They will not grow much on any puréed carrot whether its Heinz, Ellas or puréed in mummy's magimix.
I confess clutched my pearls and hoicked judgy pants at a Facebook friends eleven week old trying his first solids, but my concern was far more about his age than him getting a ready made pouch.

Chunderella Fri 13-Sep-13 20:04:42

Regarding the 4 months, my understanding is that it has to be allowed to be advertised as such because of EU law. If it's permissible to advertise as 4 months in one EU country, it has to be permissible in the others. Sweden recommends weaning from 4-5 months now, so that's at least one. With that in mind, I doubt we'll see an end to baby food being marketed as 4 months plus any time soon. Any attempts to discourage early weaning will need a different approach.

GingerDoodle Sat 14-Sep-13 09:32:27

O goody another article to make mums feel bad but stating the obvious.

Home cooked food is obviously going to be better than ready made; in much the same way as it is better than ready meals.

As others have said its its just important to have a balanced diet!

burberryqueen Sat 14-Sep-13 09:37:06

onelittletoddleterror
tinned fruit is fine, have u never wondered why your 'good' fresh apples are so shiny and perfect ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now