Why has my 7 month old lost interest in food? Is it my cooking?!

(6 Posts)
LostMarbles99 Sun 08-Sep-13 15:10:16

sad

Introduced solids at 6 months and ds was very enthusiastic.

He eats porridge eagerly in the morning but over the last 3 days he has had no interest in dinner (chicken or roast beef/ vegetable combos). He takes the smallest nibble and then turns away like it tastes disgusting!

He will eat mashed up fruit in the evening.

He is getting 4-5 x 7oz milk.

Shouldn't he be getting more rather than less interested in food?

PinkPepper Sun 08-Sep-13 20:43:51

it can take a while for him to like new flavours, keep offering. Are you letting him feed some himself? he may be more interested in that

LostMarbles99 Sun 08-Sep-13 21:18:41

Sorry but how does a baby feed himself mashed up food?

<clueless>

ExBrightonBell Sun 08-Sep-13 22:14:29

Um, I imagine he picks it up with his hands. Babies can pick up most things unless they are completely liquid. And even then they could dip their fingers in! Some people introduce food by always allowing their babies to feed themselves and not doing any spoon feeding. If your baby is reluctant to take food from a spoon it may help if he is allowed to feed himself.

Either way, I would say to keep trying and offer a variety of food. It seems to me that babies interest in food can vary especially in the early days. 7 months is only a few weeks into the weaning process - there's plenty of time for your ds to pick up his appetite.

PinkPepper Mon 09-Sep-13 22:00:42

I meant giving him pieces of food. How you'd eat it. I've not done purée weaning but I thought from 6 months you did finger foods too.

Toast, steamed veg, fruit. That type of thing?

rachyconks Mon 09-Sep-13 22:10:40

I had this with DD -first time it was a bad tummy bug, but she went off all food and milk. Second time she just started spoon refusing, got completely worked up and cried if you even brought it within a foot of her. So we just put out different bits and pieces and now she helps herself. She is 9mo now and eats what we eat. Her favourite is spaghetti, it's so funny watching her suck it up. She will quite happily sit and pick away for an hour. We started by giving her toast sprea with dairylea or with melted cheese, she loves a wee bit if marmite too, also very ripe fruit cut up - plum, nectarine, oranges, cherry toms. Grated cheese is really good. Roasted butternut squash or sweet potato. Just some ideas for you. It seems like they aren't eating anything at first, but after a few weeks, you'll be amazed by how much they can put away!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now