BLW just not working!

(8 Posts)
lucywiltshire Thu 05-Sep-13 18:50:24

I started BLW two weeks ago when DS2 turned 6 months. So far, he has not managed (or even attempted) to get any food anywhere near his mouth. If I hold a bit of food to his lips he will put it in his mouth but if I just put it on his highchair tray he swipes it all onto the floor. I am not concerned about the mess or even the fact I spend ages steaming various items of expensive organic food to give him a colourful selection but I am worried that he is not getting anything other than breast milk. I weaned my elder two on purees but both have turned into completely fussy eaters so I am determined to try a different approach. It is completely stressing me out though!

ChoudeBruxelles Thu 05-Sep-13 18:52:58

Can't you just do a bit of both to chill yourself out.

Just mash up a bit stuff that you are all eating (within reason) and give him so other bits to grab himself.

Ledkr Thu 05-Sep-13 18:55:13

Can you do both?
With dd2 who is my 5th child I did what I've always done which was a mixture of spoon foods and finger foods.
I didn't even know about blw I just got on with it.
Seems to have worked ok. She's two now and eats well.
Your baby is still very young so no rush.

MavisG Thu 05-Sep-13 18:57:11

He's fine on milk! Stop working so hard! Just give him one thing each time and keep it easy, eg raw carrot or bit of melon. Wait until he's actually going for it to start preparing him stuff. My ds1 didn't eat much until 9mo (though he did love to gnaw on meaty bones - maybe he needed the iron?) Ds2 same age as your baby and not really interested yet. Just milk is fine.

dizzy77 Thu 05-Sep-13 19:00:35

You don't have to go to so much trouble (a joy of BLW). A bit of what you're eating is usually fine. It's a new toy: texture, shape, sound, eventually maybe taste. BM (or formula) is fine for calories and everything else until they're one. DS1didnt "get it" and really start eating until he was 8mo. In the interim, it was great just having him sat at the table with something to do while I ate.

SoupDragon Thu 05-Sep-13 19:01:29

Do whatever your baby wants. The way you wean does not create fussy eaters. Unless you only offer dull plain stuff I guess.

SoupDragon Thu 05-Sep-13 19:02:47

By which I mean: Just Relax

lucywiltshire Thu 05-Sep-13 19:04:22

Thanks, I could hug you all. I am going to stop worrying about it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now