Milk and water

(9 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 04-Sep-13 21:03:52

Its such a big change in his life and I think its important not to get stressed over missed meals, he won't starve himself.

Sorry the hungry baby milk hasn't worked. Have you tried cereal before bed? The sugary ones won't work but try oatibix or ready brek with warm milk and chopped banana. We had sone success with doing this.

Have a read of foods that help you sleep and see if he would eat any of the suggestions smile

There are some tips on juggling feeding a newborn and looking after a toddler here

HTH smile

Locketjuice Wed 04-Sep-13 20:53:43

Thank you for the links will take a look now smile

Locketjuice Wed 04-Sep-13 20:53:03

I have got him to stop having a bottle during the day (unless e is really really tired/miserable I might let him) I have tried just about every other cup/beaker etc he just doesn't like them, we have lots of cuddles as his dad doesn't have much work on at the moment so luckily I am able to split the attention,alithough at night if he sees me feeding her he says 'no baby, baby go to daddy' and tried moving her off me, also have tried hungry milk, didn't change anything sad its so frustrating/upsetting when every meal he turns his nose up, thank you all for your replies

& I am loving the newborn snuggles smilesmilesmile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 04-Sep-13 20:42:12

Congratulations on your new dd Locket. Those newborn cuddles are fab aren't they smilethanks

I think there are a few things going on here. The nighttime bottles mean that he is taking all of his calories at night, so he doesn't need to take many calories in the day, its called reverse cycling and is common with busy toddlers. Could you try him with hungry baby milk. It doesn't have anymore calories than regular formula but does take longer to digest, so hels them feel fuller for longer. Maybe try this for his bedtime milk? If he does refuse his meals in the day and ask for a bottle, do you give it to him? Have you tried dropping the daytime bottles altogether and telling him he can have a cup of milk after his food?

Another factor could be the disruption of suddenly having to share his mum. Could he be wanting the comfort of the bottle? I know its hard but are you getting plenty of cuddles with him in the day? I used to put dd in a sling after I'd fed her so that I could play keep up with my DS. There are some realistic tips on getting them to sleep through heresmile

The other thing that could be affecting things is the 18 month sleep regression.

How old is he?

TBH I would start by putting the milk into a tommee tippee cup instead and have him drink in an upright position.

Can you do that?

HairyPorter Wed 04-Sep-13 12:01:14

I used to do that- didn't help! At that age he would drink up to a liter a day! He still refused to eat though so I went back to giving him milk and figured he was at least getting his calories that way. He grew out of it himself.

Locketjuice Wed 04-Sep-13 11:51:39

I am constantly trying to get food in him and all he says is 'No thank you, bot bot' meaning he wants a bottle of milk instead, he doesn't eat 3 meals a day I put them down and he will take a mouthful if I'm lucky, its the pain of my life at the moment! And I have just had dd (3 weeks) and he was sleeping through fine before now we have her he comes into my bed and wakes anything from 2-10 times a night each time wanting milk so need to find something to still settle him back to sleep but without having sooo much milk! smile

Thank you for your reply, I'm going to try tonight even if it means a few nights of him hungry during the night to get him eating in the day! hmm

monikar Wed 04-Sep-13 11:37:44

Do you mean mix up milk and water in the same bottle? I did this to get my DD off drinking milk in the night. I think you need to do it more gradually though - so start with 8oz milk and 1oz of water, do that for a couple of nights then do 7oz milk and 2oz of water and so on. In this way, it is gradual and your baby is less likely to be upset by the change. My DD wasn't keen on just water and it broke the night feeding.

You say your baby drinks milk in the evening? If you are keen to reduce this could you offer a small snack with a cup of milk (about 4oz) which would mean that less milk is consumed?

Locketjuice Wed 04-Sep-13 07:54:49

My 18 MO drinks far too much milk in the evening/throughout the night, can I just add say 4oz milk and 5oz water to stop him getting so full and refusing to eat or is that really gross?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now