How much milk at 9 months?

(17 Posts)
Lynz1987 Wed 28-Aug-13 02:55:38

My dd only has 7oz 7am 5oz 3pm and 7oz 7pm bedtime. hv said this fine as dd has 4 meals a day with plenty of milk cheese or yoghurt my dd just never took to milk! Tried everything too.some babies r not big milk drinkers despite the "recommended" amount I made myself ill with worry that dd wasn't getting enough. Shes great tho right on schedule at 8 1/2 for development. We have decided to start early with vit d on hv advice.xx

Mine had 10-12oz a day for nearly 2 months (back up to 18oz a day now). They are tracking the 50th centile and are happy and healthy little things. One cold in nearly 11 months also tells me they are getting what they need. I have followed my paed's advice as it is tailored to my daughters and their needs not a piece of NHS advice that is given to every women in the country. Every baby is different.

brightonbythesea Sat 17-Aug-13 22:09:41

perhaps JJJ but that is all she will drink, any more milk and she is sick, or just refuses it. I have heard from a number of HVs (see a diff one every time she is weighed) that the 20oz can include dairy in solids, and none are concerned that she has 15oz. I am not telling the op this is right, I am just telling her what we do.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 17-Aug-13 19:45:00

Sounds great, and I'm sure he is, its just that usually they aren't that great with feeding advice smile

I trust this paed completely. He was there when the girls were delivered and showed such compassion while they were in NICU. Definitely not shite grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 17-Aug-13 18:00:22

Paeds are notoriously shite with feeding advice though to be fair grin

My twins were born at 34 weeks and see a pediatrician (for other reasons, not about feeding). When I spoke with him about my concern with them drinking 10-12oz per day, he said 16oz was the minimum! They must have been going through a stage where they didn't fancy milk because now they are having 18oz per day.

I think the NHS is just guidance. Every child is different.

GingerDoodle Sat 17-Aug-13 11:49:07

In my experience when DD is sick with milk she's had too much. She as, at that age, have 3 bottles of 6/7 oz at 7am, 3pm and 6pm (she had only recently dropped her 11am).

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 15-Aug-13 22:10:01

Sorry brighton but the advice from your HV is just plain wrong. The NHS advice is a minimum of 20floz a day. The amount of dairy in the diet is pretty irrelevant.

brightonbythesea Thu 15-Aug-13 22:07:00

my 9mo is on 8oz morning 7oz evening. I dropped the afternoon bottle when she was also being sick on the last one, even with a light tea. She was very happy to give it up, she just has a banana and water instead. The HV said this is just fine, as long as you provide dairy during the day such as cheese and yoghurt.

bettybyebye Wed 14-Aug-13 17:47:28

My ds is also 9 months and has a similar amount - 8oz first thing in the morning, 6 or 7oz around 1.30-2pm and 8oz before bed. Sometimes he doesn't finish the afternoon bottle. They need at least 20oz per day until they're 1. Maybe you could try bringing the afternoon bottle and/or tea forward a bit if you feel he's having too much late on?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 14-Aug-13 17:43:06

If you feel Lo is having too much, I'd cut down on the solids. 20floz is the minimum until they are one. They need the nutrients from the formula to grow and develop. Solids should just be complimentary smile

At 9 months old my girls were down to a morning and evening bottle (9oz each).

Italianbride Wed 14-Aug-13 09:00:15

Hhhmmm so maybe I am giving him the right amount. Just feels like a lot on top of 3 full meals!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 13-Aug-13 22:35:42

The minimum he should be having until he's one is 600ml a day. HTH.

IsThatTrue Tue 13-Aug-13 20:05:11

No idea tbh. Ds2 is bf and he feeds 6 times a day still, but that's quite a lot I think at 8mo.

Sorry <unhelpful>

Italianbride Tue 13-Aug-13 20:00:45

My DS is eating 3 solid meals a day and I've still been giving him 3x bottles of milk (approx 200ml) a day too. One when he wakes, one mid afternoon and a final one just before bed. Is this too much?

Sometimes it feels like I'm cramming a lot in in the afternoon/evening (milk 3pm, dinner 5pm, milk 6.45pm) and in fact sometimes he is sick during his last bottle. How much milk does he 'need'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now