Where does "Food is for fun until 1" come from??

(9 Posts)
CitrusyOne Thu 15-Aug-13 14:43:03

I put everything down to a 'phase'.

She slept through for a few weeks- but at the time we said that it was a phase and there was no guarantee she would always sleep through.

It will pass and something else will come up......

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 15-Aug-13 08:25:23

Sounds like progress smile

KingRollo Thu 15-Aug-13 08:24:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 14-Aug-13 21:10:50

Don't forget too that there are developmental leaps around 6 and 9 months and a sleep regression around 9 months. There's more info on developmental leaps in the wonder weeks website and in their book smile

CitrusyOne Wed 14-Aug-13 17:56:57

My dd is similar. Slept through at about 6-7 months, is eating three meals a day but hit 8-9 months and has been waking more- still on breast milk, no formula. She will feed in the night but it doesn't send her back off to sleep. My hv suggested formula in the day but I won't repeat my answer to that! She has one bf first thing in the morning and another at bedtime and that's it. She's putting in weight brilliantly and eats loads so I just trust her and what she seems to want.

KingRollo Wed 14-Aug-13 17:50:56

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 12-Aug-13 13:27:16

The thing is, since your DM had babies there has been much more research. Its now advised that if you are ffing, its a mini my of 20floz per day. So what your DM suggests was fine for you isn't ideal at all.

I think your Lo will be fine with solids and water in the day and 4 bfs but you might want to discuss it with a BFC. Have you got the helpline numbers?

scampidoodle Mon 12-Aug-13 12:35:06

I don't know - I'd never heard it until a couple of weeks ago when I started looking in this topic! And I don't really agree (my DS went from a miserable little thing to a thriving, happy baby once he was eating solids at 6 months), but each to their own...
I think if your DD is on 3 decent meals a day and 2 or 3 milk feeds then she should be fine, and you can give her yoghurt and cheese in her meals for calcium. Bf babies are supposed to have vitamin drops as well if I remember correctly.

The formula my DD is on suggests that from 7 months (when I'm guessing they're assuming a baby will be on 3 meals a day) a baby should only have 2-3 x 7oz bottles, which isn't an enormous amount.

But if you're worried about it, could you try a cup for milk? Although I realise you might have the same problems as with the bottles...

KingRollo Sun 11-Aug-13 18:33:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now