Going straight to mashed up family foods at 6 months

(22 Posts)
AidanTheRevengeNinja Tue 06-Aug-13 20:36:04

Ooh that's a good idea Brugmansia. He is almost 24 weeks. There is some broccoli in the fridge that I am not sure what to do with, maybe it has found its purpose now grin

Brugmansia Tue 06-Aug-13 05:34:03

How old is your ds? I know you said you didn't want to do full on blw, but if you think he is wanting to eat and he's sitting well enough could you start giving him bits of fruit and veg now as finger foods?

This is what we have just done. DS is now just over 6 months but I started at about 23 weeks offering bits of things like brocolli, steamed carrot and baby corn and some fruit eg banana for him to play with. I didn't offer this every day just on an ad hoc basis, gradually increasing. I figured if he wasn't actually ready to eat he wouldn't swallow any, or just miniscule amounts, but it would start to get him used to flavours and having food in his mouth.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sun 04-Aug-13 18:50:56

Thanks everyone smile Countdown to 6 months is on! DS is gazing intently at food, picking up and chewing everything in sight and starting to sit up nicely - he is chomping at the bit to get going I think!

GingerDoodle Fri 02-Aug-13 22:15:52

We did this alongside using Ella's pouches / Plum / Organix's. Graduated to mashed and now more or less bits of what we eat. DD is 10mo.

minipie Fri 02-Aug-13 17:11:09

catnap, you can do if you want but I think it's only advised to do that if you have a history of allergies in the family. it's probably best to separate out common allergens like egg and strawberries though.

Catnap26 Fri 02-Aug-13 15:22:06

I thought u started with individual foods to try to eliminate any allergies?

minipie Fri 02-Aug-13 14:24:30

Yeah we do this (purée/mash our own adult meals for dd)

don't add salt, use low salt stock cubes (kallo ones are v g), avoid too much salty food like Parmesan and bacon, and don't use smoked foods. No honey either. I think everything else is ok. Some advice says egg has to be fully cooked but I'm not too bothered as long as the eggs are lion stamped.

one thing to note - a lump of meat is very hard to mash! so you'll have to choose between pureeing it properly or BLW the meat. if you have iron concerns I'd purée the meat and then add it to mashed up/soft veg.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Fri 02-Aug-13 13:09:09

Noblegiraffe - we were told to add a vitamin supplement with vit D from 6 months if breastfeeding, and I've been doing this from 4 months to be safe (the Healthy Start drops). I tried the Wellkid drops first but the iron really upset DS's stomach, so we're just going to be relying on the food.

Your 4-year-old sounds smart grin

noblegiraffe Fri 02-Aug-13 12:24:33

Were you told to give a vitamin supplement? Bfed babies are supposed to have them past 6 months and I just checked ours (Wellkids baby drops) and they have some iron in them too which might help.

Panzee unfortunately my baby eating stuff hasn't changed my nearly four year old's eating habits. He has watched the baby eat broccoli, been shown pictures of himself eating broccoli as a baby and simply said 'yes, I used to eat broccoli like the baby'. Grr.

sittinginthesun Fri 02-Aug-13 11:48:49

Pretty much did this with mine - I dud the purée thing with ds1, but he was so keen, he was on mashed meals by 7 months. Ds2 refused purée - he just wanted the same as his brother!

The only advantage to single foods, is it is easier to work out any intolerance. Ds2 struggled with banana, and butternut squash gave him tummy ache. Cheese at tea time still gives him night terrors. I knew something was bothering him but had to isolate the foods until I found it.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Fri 02-Aug-13 11:41:30

Thanks so much everyone - really helpful!

grin at pureed MacDonalds nobegiraffe is it wrong that that made me a tiny bit hungry

Excellent idea re feeding off my own plate Adagio, I think I have that sort of baby too!

HomeHelp, it's because he was slightly premature (36 weeker) and also ebf, so will need to get some nutrients in (especially iron) at 6 months - doesn't have the reserves of a full-termer. Or so we were told. He is a greedy little pig with breastmilk so hopefully he will take the same approach to food!

Panzee Fri 02-Aug-13 11:06:31

I'm looking forward to the baby encouraging my 4 year old to eat properly again <hollow laugh>

adagio Fri 02-Aug-13 11:04:40

oh and if you put it on a dish for the baby, they won't want it…however, whilst out remains on your plate it is probably the most interesting thing in the world!

adagio Fri 02-Aug-13 11:03:04

I do this (7 months ish) only 'changes' is we now tend to have carrot 'batons' instead of circles (easier to hold) - same for cucumber etc.

My HV told me not to worry about salt already in things such as the odd stock cube in a batch of bolognese or a jar of sauce - although obviously don't add any where you can avoid it (like porridge, seasoning meat before it cooks etc).

My DD seems to enjoy sucking the life out of a strip of meat cut off the side of one of ours (roasted chicken breast, pork chops, and a chunk of roast lamb leg). She likes a lump of cheese, pasta (twirly shapes easier to hold), oatcakes, strips of pepper either fished out of a curry before its assembled or blanched.

She only likes fruit purees from readymade babyfood aisle - the 'food' is too boring and smooth.

I am surprised how little we have actually blended/pureed to be honest. Shepherds pie is a good texture.

Most stuff gets chewed then pushed/spat out, but based on the poo I assume more is going down than appearances suggest.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 02-Aug-13 10:21:23

I was planning on posting a similar question when we get to weaning!

We cook from scratch every day and a rebuilding a repetoire of suitable baby foods. I have a gut feeling that doing it this way avoids fights over food. Many moons ago, my DS ate beautifully when we all ate together (but he was a dream baby ...)

Good to know its not a no no!

MortifiedAdams Fri 02-Aug-13 10:18:59

Tbh I just plated up what we had (similar to you), but blending the curries and other dinners wpuld work too.

Pascha Fri 02-Aug-13 10:18:53

Mashing with a fork is fine, and things like pasta shapes, potatoes, bread, well cooked veg don't even need that. Its good to give them stuff to hold and gum on as well as spooning stuff in so they can practice the skills.

Don't think I've ever pureed anything.

MrsOakenshield Fri 02-Aug-13 10:17:21

sounds fine to me. You don't have to make it completely smooth, mashing with a fork should be fine.

HomeHelpMeGawd Fri 02-Aug-13 10:15:28

The types of food you're describing are fine.

Why do you want to make sure he wants to get something in him?

noblegiraffe Fri 02-Aug-13 10:12:22

No, normal food is fine, so long as you leave the salt out. And no honey or whole nuts. Or puréed McDonalds. The veg and fruit thing is for weaning before 6 months.

I wouldn't mash, but I'm too lazy to do anything apart from finger food. Omelettes can be cut into strips, toast is easier for them to hold in quarter triangles.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Fri 02-Aug-13 10:08:13

Ack sorry, mean to post in Weaning! Will ask for this to be moved.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Fri 02-Aug-13 10:06:46

(Sorry this is a bit of a follow-on to my previous thread.)

Is it acceptable to just go straight to mashed family food? Obviously would leave out the salt and other contraband when cooking, then blitz in our mini blender and spoon-feed (or offer as finger food where appropriate). I'm not keen on true BLW as I do want to make sure he gets something into him, but neither can I be arsed with loads of purpose-made purees grin

We cook dinner from scratch every day and the sort of things we make are grilled fresh fish or chicken, roasted or boiled vegetables, mash, steak and homemade chips, lamb chops, pasta bake, mild Thai/Indian curries with rice. Lunches tend to be sandwiches or toast with stuff eg scrambled egg. Could a 6 month old handle all this from the off? Or do I need to be steaming veg sticks / pureeing fruit first?

If I do just give family food, should I mash it all together or keep each item mashed separately for different tastes?

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now