Please help! Weaning book other than Annabel Karmel?

(15 Posts)
Wishingonamoon Fri 26-Jul-13 17:53:17

I'm feeling really clueless even though I have the Annabel Karmel book. I just find it stressful even looking at the recipes. I'm not a cook at home - I can do meat and potato and veg meals but often we will have a pizza or ready meal.

My baby is 7 months old and so far she has just had baby rice mixed with different things - fruit purees and the only savoury thing a bit of sweet potato.

I really want to follow a set plan as I do like structure but I need something simpler than the AK book. Can anyone recommend something?

Thank you

Wishingonamoon Fri 26-Jul-13 17:57:10

Sorry one other question - she is still breastfed. I read that she's now meant to have vitamins but the only ones I could find in the shops are a strong tasting liquid which she doesn't like. Is there any other type anyone knows of?

Thanks smile confused

ZingWidge Fri 26-Jul-13 17:57:56

Suzannah Olivier : What should I feed my baby?

ceeveebee Fri 26-Jul-13 17:59:01

Babycentre.co.uk has a meal plan which I think was quite good if I recall

ceeveebee Fri 26-Jul-13 17:59:48

Oh re vitamins - we use abidec which are a lemon flavour and my twins really like it!

AidanTheRevengeNinja Fri 26-Jul-13 18:14:38

The NHS Healthy Start vitamins are only £1.80 a bottle (8 weeks' supply), you only have to give 5 drops a day, and they taste deliciously of banana smile You can buy them from Sure Start centres and other places - ask health visitor for nearest stockist.

CMOTDibbler Fri 26-Jul-13 18:18:21

Buy a good general cookbook like Jamies Ministry of food, then you, the baby and dp/dh can all eat healthy food together - just mush hers a bit with a fork till shes good at lumps as at 7 months she doesn't need it pureed.

BillComptonstrousers Fri 26-Jul-13 18:26:46

Ella's kitchen, and Hugh fearnely-whittingstall are both lovely

Wishingonamoon Fri 26-Jul-13 18:38:49

Thanks everyone. zing that susannah Oliver one costs a bomb on amazon sad

Wishingonamoon Fri 26-Jul-13 18:39:53

bill do you mean Ella's kitchen food or a book?

The nhs vitamins sound great aidan, will def look into them.

Wishingonamoon Fri 26-Jul-13 18:47:30

bill ignore that have just looked on amazon. That sounds like the sort of thing I'm after. Not sure it has meal plans though....

ZingWidge Fri 26-Jul-13 19:08:49

maybe try your local library? or Ebay?

it's more than just a cookbook though.
it starts with bf/ff guide, then talks about optimum nutrition, worry-free weaning, allergies, wonder foods, additives, vitamins and minerals and so on.
and gives you meal planners broken down into sections 6-9 m, 9-12 m etc. with recipes

and the way it is written it is suitable for a gluten and/or dairy free (or reduced) diet!

I used it with all six of mine, cost £10.99 12 years ago.

not a BLW based book though, but the nutritional advice is sound.
I hope you can find a cheap copy. It's really good.

ZingWidge Fri 26-Jul-13 19:15:01

just looked on Ebay, buy it now price and p&p is less then £3.00!

sorry I can't link.

katiedoc Sat 27-Jul-13 01:39:38

If she is 7 months she can eat anything except nuts and honey. You don't need to follow any special recipes, just dont cook with salt. Some easy first spoon feed ideas:

Chicken or beef casserole with mashed veg
Spag bol, just cut up the pasta
Homemade soup
Chicken korma, rice
Shepherds or cottage or fish pie
Cawliflower cheese
Scrambled eggs (not runny)
Beans
Weetabix

She can also eat finger foods at this age:

Any kind of fruit
Any kind of salad veg
Any cooked veg
Toast, naan, pitta, rice cake, oat cake, yorkshire pudding
Cheese
Omelette, eggy bread
Chicken breast or drumsticks
Pork or lamb chops
Homemade pizza
Cheese on toast

She can also have fromage frais, custard, yogurts

MiaowTheCat Mon 29-Jul-13 09:34:22

The AK book does tend to veer into dream land sometimes when she descends into wafting around the kitchen for 2 hours to make something that has 4 portions of it.

I used it as a starting point when I was trying to get my head around balancing when to do milk feeds related to solid feeds - but selectively and batch cooked the living shit out of anything I made... when she said use fresh stock - I used baby stock cubes, when she went on about steaming veg - I used a microwave veg steamer rather than pans... made it more manageable and I tried to stick to stuff that had a bigger "yield" in terms of the number of portions it made, or doubled up quantities to make more.

By the 7 month mark I was trying to make a couple of meals a week that were easily mushable, lightly blendable for family meals and freezing a load of extra portions and rotating them through the weeks so I had a drawer full of baby-sized portions of various things in the freezer. DD1 was (still is) heavily into things like chilli and curry by then, plus I'd do things like casseroles, mac cheeses, lasagnas, spaghetti sauce (bung as much veg as is in the veg drawer in the fridge in, lightly blend some off for the baby's portions and I cooked it off using baby pasta shapes, then take the rest off for us) and I rotated through those sort of things. Like you say - we tend to fall back on stuff for ourselves we can bung in the oven on a fair few occasions - so I found getting myself into the mindset of doing a couple of proper family meals a week that I could make freezer portions of for baby meals meant that about 90% of the time DD1 got something home cooked with a decent quantity of nutrients in, and then occasionally I did the odd jar when I'd forgotten to defrost things or we were out and about or whatever. Gradually reduced the amount of blending/mushing up I did, to where we had things with the pieces in it just chopped more than I might do for normal cooking (I'd do things like carrots into quarter circle slices) and then onto my normal levels of chopping for an adult audience.... mixed in with stuff she could self-feed as well.

As she got older I moved from freezing things in ice cube trays to using what I still tend to use now - washed out yoghurt pots with cling film or foil lids to freeze a portion of stuff.

Hopefully that makes sense. I used the slow cooker a fair bit too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now