How much salt is too much?

(21 Posts)
KingRollo Tue 23-Jul-13 20:37:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KingRollo Tue 23-Jul-13 20:39:55

Yes they are high salt. She is so young is about experimenting so I wouldn't worry. Stop the high salt foods. Do you have a stove top cooker?

KingRollo Tue 23-Jul-13 20:43:46

No BLW is letting them feed themselves. Some interpret that as giving baby the same as you - but really it's about not using purée etc and letting them get on with it. It wouldn't be appropriate to give a baby adult food (you would cook as for yourself but no salt and add it for yourself later).

And as I said - she's only 7 months old, she doesn't need to be on a full adult diet. It's just tastes and experiences so she will be fine if you wait until you get an oven.

KingRollo Tue 23-Jul-13 20:52:26

KingRollo Tue 23-Jul-13 20:53:27

Yes that sounds fine although be careful with bread and cheese as salty. Eggs - can you do scrambled egg in a microwave?

Weetabix - again salty but not too bad. Porridge is better - you can cook in microwave and add fruit?

Also tinned tuna in oil (not brine as salty) - tuna say once a week or so with pasta?

You can microwave fresh salmon as well.

Also why can't you use the cooker in the restaurant to batch cook some food for her, then freeze and defrost and warm up when necessary?

KingRollo Tue 23-Jul-13 21:03:01

KingRollo Tue 23-Jul-13 21:04:19

nextphase Tue 23-Jul-13 21:23:07

Could you poach some strips of chicken in a bowl of hot water in the microwave?

Pasta can be done by putting in boiling water and leaving as well.

Porridge in place of the wetabix is probably a good idea some days. I always made it in the microwave for mine - much easier for small quantities.

Microwave scrambled eggs as above.

Microwave jacket potatoes, and you can also mash the middles once cooked.

Can you get precooked roasted meat, and give her the middle with limited seasoning?

Hope you get the oven in soon. Sounds like it will make life less complicated!

KingRollo Tue 23-Jul-13 21:39:36

SpooMoo Wed 24-Jul-13 07:31:14

"with BLW your baby is meant to eat the same food as you?? How does that work?"

I can't believe this isn't obvious - but you adapt your meals! So you eat less processed crap and less salt. At her age she really doesn't need meatballs or any processed meat at all.

Try soft fruits, homemade houmous on pitta, homemade guacamole on toast, cucumber sticks, microwave-steamed veg (carrot, courgette, set potato), fresh mozzarella.

dd hardly had any meat at the start as she couldn't chew it or it was salty. lots of salmon, but you might find it a bit salty if you can't buy it raw to cook.

other suggestions all good, it did seem a bit plain to start. we limited it to one piece bread a day for ex, I didn't worry about cheese too much

KingRollo Thu 25-Jul-13 08:55:51

I cook all my Veg in a mug in the microwave - i got a huge one free from sports direct and its great, wack it in covered in water for a couple of minutes then leave in the microwave for the same time again but off (so if you cooked it for 3 leave it in but.off for 3) - you can do "mini pizza" on either baguette or just bread cut into rounds with a cookie cutter spread with a little tinned tomatoes and add veg, tuna/chicken and a bit of cheese and stick it in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds until cheese melts - my son still loves that now and he's nearly 4 - he likes to choose his own topping now which can include salami, pastrami etc

Oh and I've made microwave soup before now - a little bit at a time in a little cup with salad to "dip"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now