Toast - What age?

(8 Posts)
MrsWhirling Sat 20-Jul-13 07:47:56

My DS is 7 1/2 mths and has mainly had porridge for his breakfast. I was thinking of toast but not sure if he is too young?

rcs19 Sat 20-Jul-13 07:56:04

Dd has had toast since she started on solids at 6 months. She didn't really eat much for quite a while but enjoyed sucking the butter off! She's now 7 and a bit months and is getting the hang of chewing it with her gums. Let him try- he'll have fun with it even if he doesn't eat much.

MrsWhirling Sat 20-Jul-13 07:57:13

Thanks! Do you give a whole slice or cut into strips?

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Sat 20-Jul-13 07:59:00

Strips can be quite floppy and hard to hold. I did little triangles.smile

Yamyoid Sat 20-Jul-13 07:59:06

I used to give porridge/weetabix fed by me and toast into small squares or fingers for her.

ASAP. Toast is fab weaning food. I cut it into squares as strips go floppy!

RoadToTuapeka Sat 20-Jul-13 08:06:17

My DS is 6 months, just started weaning, have been giving him toast fingers. Not much eating as such, just sucking etc, but all good, he loves them! I think the advice here in NZ where I am is to wait til 7 months for wheat products if allergies, eczema etc in the family.
Haven't tried pita breads yet but evidently they are easier for babies to manage than untoasted bread which can stick to roof of the mouth.

leedy Thu 25-Jul-13 17:04:18

Toasted bagels are pretty good too, they tend to stay fairly intact even through robust gumming. Toast in general is a great vehicle for other foods as well: avocado, hummus, banana, yoghurt, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now