Did anyone here NOT do BLW....

(40 Posts)
AidanTheRevengeNinja Thu 18-Jul-13 10:17:55

...and if not, why not, and how did it go?

We are thinking of going the mash plus finger food for a variety of reasons, but can't find many threads on this.

Thanks smile

Yonihadtoask Tue 23-Jul-13 11:39:45

Not here. But DS is now 15 - BLW wasn't heard of back then as far as I know.

Started him on spoon fed home purees at 4 months (again, different rules!) gradually getting more lumpy foods in. By 7 or 8 months he was very adept at finger foods, with spoon handling not long after.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Tue 23-Jul-13 11:36:41

Ha you're right re unnecessary angst Ragwort. My mother recently told me I was weaned at 3 months on crushed up rusks and had Coke in my sippy cup (I kid you not) - yet 30 years later I am a healthy weight with a varied diet, love cooking and have adventurous tastes in food. So maybe it doesn't matter that much grin

AidanTheRevengeNinja Tue 23-Jul-13 11:31:52

Thanks for the responses everyone - really helpful smile

We will just be Weaning (Unclassified) then - mix and match, and stuff will hopefully get down one way or another!

Yika Mon 22-Jul-13 22:32:34

ragwort ha ha! That would be a novel weaning idea!

paperclips Mon 22-Jul-13 21:17:07

We didn't. The first few things we gave him were "baby led" because we just let him play. Just simple mashed sweet potato and he ate it ok himself but it seemed so limited, having to think of things he'd be able to pick up and get into his mouth. So we ended up spooning food in more and more and he was loving it so we continued, but made sure he also had finger foods. Typically he'd have finger food for lunch, like toast or sticks of steamed veg, and a spoon-fed dinner and breakfast (can't imagine what how BLW weetabix would work- it'd redecorate the kitchen!) We generally mashed rather than pureed, he had lumpy food from 6 months. At 10 months his food is now pretty either much a chopped up, or finger food-able version of what we eat. He eats a wide range of foods, though I'm fully aware he might still turn fussy later as a toddler.

I liked the idea of BLW but was a bit confused. I thought the point was that baby could eat what you ate but we eat saucey things, stews, curries, rice, couscous, things a baby couldn't get into his mouth himself. What about porridge, yogurt etc? Surely you have to spoon it in?

I think the term Baby-led is a bit misleading anyway. It's not as though babies choose what you actually serve them whichever method you follow. And I'd argue the mixed method is still "baby-led" because if he doesn't want to eat it he won't, it's not like we force-feed them.

Ragwort Mon 22-Jul-13 21:13:36

Yika - I read your post so quickly I thought you said you gave your baby chewing gum grin.

Sheshelob Mon 22-Jul-13 20:41:24

I didn't. I bought a book about it an anticipation of it but DS started solids at 17 weeks shock so we mashed, mashed, mashed with some finger food from 6 months.

Now 20 months, he's an awesome eater, and always has been.

Yika Mon 22-Jul-13 20:34:54

Ps I know they can chew with the gums but you get the general gist.

Passmethecrisps Mon 22-Jul-13 20:34:09

I thought I would be a BLW purist but as with everything I thought pre-baby it all went to shit.

My wee one is 8 months old and reacted badly to reflux and CMPI at 1 month. We were warned weaning could be a challenge as such babies are often funny about new textures and tastes they can't identify.

Anyway, for over a month all she would eat was rice cakes. Occasionally I managed to sneak some purée onto one but she mainly left those.

I was put under a bit of pressure by both the HV and the dietician so kept persevering with purées as they were unable to help me with BLW ideas for a baby who is egg allergic and dairy intolerant.

She is now doing fine. I like the control spoon feedin gives me. After months of anxiously counting oz of milk I wasn't quite ready to just throw stuff on her tray and be done.

I like spoon feeding with breaks for her to eat finger food. Meals take an hour but hay ho

Yika Mon 22-Jul-13 20:34:00

I didn't. I'm in Belgium and at the nursery here DD started on veg purées at 6 months and didn't get even lumpy food till about 1 year old I think. I just followed their lead at home too. They seem to take it slower on the whole here. It suited me fine because DD got her teeth very late. Can't remember when she got the first but it was late and then on its own for months! So she couldn't chew. She always enjoyed her purées and now at 34 months she is still a hearty eater.

Ragwort Mon 22-Jul-13 20:32:06

Agree with Where - I weaned my 'baby' over 12 years ago so we didn't go in for these fancy descriptions grin - he had pureed fruit and veg for the first couple of months (if my memory serves me right) and then we just mushed up whatever meal we were having - sometimes he ate it himself sometimes we spooned it in.

So much 'angst' about this sort of thing, save your worries for the teenage years grin.

GingerDoodle Mon 22-Jul-13 20:25:35

We did a mixture of both simply because we felt it was the right way for us!

I just did weaning. Made food, served it and let them eat it how they wanted. Sometimes with me feeding , sometimes themselves. Dd2 preferred finger food style but she also are soup which she bathed in whilst eating grin

I have no idea what name is put to how I did it and I don't care. grin it' was just weaning to me. Worked out just fine smile

MiaowTheCat Mon 22-Jul-13 09:40:00

I didn't (and I had a very nasty encounter with a BLW fanatic over it as well which still hurts over 7-8 months on).

DD1 was premature - was definitely ready for solids at 6months in terms of the hunger and milk intake levels (was downing full 9oz bottles and wanting more, weight gain going skyrocketing and even hungry baby milk only bought us a little bit longer in terms of time) but didn't have the motor skills or interest in bringing things to her mouth at that point (oh god did we get past that phase and to the tiresome "everything goes in the gob" later on in life!) - so we very loosely followed Annabel Karmel in terms of getting ideas for things to combine and puree, coupled with other random stuff I found researching and the odd jar and pouches. Added in finger food as her development caught up to that point and now she's at the rebellious toddler "I will finger feed myself individual peas and take five hours to do so but you are NOT coming near me with that spoon mother" phase like anticipated.

We didn't- I just felt that for us the progression from smooth to steadily lumpier was more workable for us. I used jars, pouches and homemade according to what and where we were. More expensive, yes, but a hell of a lot easier! The result is an 18 month old who loves his food, eats proper meals with us and is a perfect weight smile

Chunderella Fri 19-Jul-13 22:45:39

We didn't. I vaguely toyed with the idea and gave it a go once or twice, but DD wasn't interested and as she was already over 6 months I bottled it a bit. I'd never found the idea that there must be some connection between when a baby is ready for solids and when they can feed with their hands convincing anyway. So I tried a few things. DD never cared for purees so, after a few days of baby rice as preparation until she went off it, we just did chunks of soft finger food. Fruit and veg really. Then moved onto stews, or what we're eating when suitable. It took a while as DD wasn't that arsed, and also didn't have many teeth until recently so wasn't an awesome chewer. I'm not wedded to any approach though, if we have another and blw seems most suitable, I'll do that. I suspect the majority of parents do a bit of mixing and matching, actually.

mummytopoppy1 Thu 18-Jul-13 19:48:04

We didn't. I couldn't bear the thought of either food waste, or that much mess and I just didn't think it was for us. I did single fruit/veg purees for a bit, and very quickly offered a few bits of fingerfood such as toast at the same time. We introduced lumps into her food as quick as possible.

She's 8 months now - she just eats mashed, lumpy versions of our dinner and is very happy to eat finger food - weaning has been a pretty easy experience for us by doing it this way. Good luck - everyone is different and just do what suits you and your baby!

AidanTheRevengeNinja Thu 18-Jul-13 18:01:39

Thanks so much everyone. I'll get the Annabel Karmel book for ideas. I've also ordered the Rana Conway book which is a mixed approach, so hopefully between them I'll learn what to do!

Glad this thread hasn't turned into a fight, I got a bit worried about that after posting! I have nothing against BLW, it's just that I don't think the pure version will work for DS's particular circumstances.

Phineyj Thu 18-Jul-13 17:55:12

I though about it but 3 weeks in, I don't think I could bear the waste of food involved. At least with purees and things you can whisk it away if they start pouring it over their head! DD loves waving chunks of food about but in terms of actual eating, would much rather nom her bib or the wipes packet grin

musicalmum40 Thu 18-Jul-13 15:56:25

I didn't - I didn't like the single-track minded approach. Weaned DS at nearly 6 months quite conventionally. Now he has a mixture of mashed food and finger food at nearly 11 months. Don't be put off by BLW evangelists. It's about variety and fun and it's not as if you'll never let your child touch food with his hands is it?

LifeIsSoDifferent Thu 18-Jul-13 15:49:58

I didn't do BLW. I just didn't feel that it was right for my DD so we started on simple veg purees and it worked fine for us. She took to it really well and we moved on really quickly. She's now 9m and has dinners really thick and lumpy and can eat whole foods but I find se doesn't eat enough of To fill her fr dinner so she has a lumpy dinner then and lots of finger food throughout the day.

Some people may not agree but it works for us smile

juneau Thu 18-Jul-13 15:07:30

I also like Annabel Karmel baby recipes. I had her '100 Baby Purees' book and the recipes were great for both my kids (and some of them are extremely quick and easy). The 'My Favourite Oatmeal' was a favourite for the whole family - I forget how many pan-fuls of that I made.

giddywithglee Thu 18-Jul-13 14:51:55

I bought and started reading the Gill Rapley BLW book but her preachy style made me really angry and I had to stop reading it. I also couldn't have done exclusive BLW as DS1 had a milk aversion so until we started solids every feed had been a battle and there was no way I could be relaxed about letting him dictate his meals!

I did homemade purees and mash and also finger food. I basically gradually moved from puree to slightly more textured food until it was just mash and then lumps. And around 10 months he refused to let us feed him so everything had to be finger food.

For purees & mash I used Annabel Karmel for inspiration until he could have our meals mashed up. Must admit I also kept a stash of Ella's Kitchen and Plum pouches for lazy times emergencies.

DS1 definitely hasn't suffered as a result - he eats pretty much anything including most fruit and veg and is a dab hand with a fork at 2.7 yrs.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 18-Jul-13 14:38:28

Annabel Karmel has some pretty good recipes (though people on here seem to hate her). In the toddler sections the food is honestly suitable for everyone, and the flavour combinations she uses might give you an idea.

EK pouches are also good - a real hit with DD2 when we went to the UK. In fact the turning point with her fussiness was when she was eating them.

I'll PM you in a bit when I have time but my two main reasons are :

- most of us wouldn't have a clue what to do if a baby actually choked, which is a risk with any lumpy food.

- I don't think food should be baby led. They have to try lots of things several times in order to develop tastes. Letting them pick and choose, imo, could turn them into picky and choosy eaters. I wouldn't advocate forcing puree down them if they don't like it, at all. There is plenty of fun to be had with food - so much variety and new tastes and textures even with puree. I don't see the need to empower baby though. I'd rather keep a much closer eye and control on what and particularly how much they eat, and that is easier with puree. I've been flamed for saying that in the past, but nevermind.

- a minor reason is that I don't like mess smile

juneau Thu 18-Jul-13 14:29:08

I did a mixture of purees and finger foods for both of mine. I found BLW so limiting, in terms of flavours, that it just didn't work for me and I found both my DC choked if they knawed off a big chunk of carrot or parsnip or whatever and it scared me witless. Do what you feel is best - which may be purees to start with and soft fruits/veggies/bread sticks later on. TBH I used a lot of Ella's and Plum pouches and fromage frais and things like that. They're so easy and introduce the baby to a variety of flavours without you having to faff around every meal and make your own salt-free stock. Not very MN-y of me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now